Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 5508 WLC, is reboot mandatory after upgrading the license

Amey Naik
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I've query I've 5508 WLC, which is having IOS 8.2.151.0, i want to upgrade the license on the WLC. Is it mandatory to reboot the WLC after license upgrade, as IOS is 8.2.151.0.

5 Replies 5

Hi,

It is:

Step 1  Choose Management > Software Activation > Commands to open the License Commands page.

Step 2  From the Action drop-down list, choose Install License. The Install License from a File section appears.

Step 3  In the File Name to Install text box, enter the path to the license (*.lic) on the TFTP server.

Step 4  Click Install License. A message appears to show whether the license was installed successfully. If the installation fails, the message provides the reason for the failure, such as the license is an existing license, the path was not found, the license does not belong to this device, you do not have correct permissions for the license, and so on.

Step 5  If the end-user license agreement (EULA) acceptance dialog box appears, read the agreement and click Accept to accept the terms of the agreement.Note   

Typically, you are prompted to accept the EULA for evaluation, extension, and rehost licenses. The EULA is also required for permanent licenses, but it is accepted during license generation.

Step 6  Save a backup copy of all installed licenses as follows:From the Action drop-down list, choose Save License.In the File Name to Save text box, enter the path on the TFTP server where you want the licenses to be saved.Note   

You cannot save evaluation licenses.

Click Save Licenses.

Step 7  Reboot the controller.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

CSCO11479102
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,
yes it is mandatory.

If you upload the licencse it's only in the "running config".

It needs a propper reboot to update the licence files inside the wlc.

So if the file is only uploaded the licences is active but after a powerloss/crash the system will come up with the old one/old state. This will most likely cause some outages/headaches for you. 

Greetings

Freerk Terpstra
Level 7
Level 7

I have seen controllers loosing licenses after some time due to skipping the reload after adding the licenses, so I always perform the reload just to make sure.

Hi,

Can any one please advice , in Cisco 5508 if license command option is not showing, then what steps need to perform?

DId you try a different web browser like firefox?

<<< Please help the community by marking useful posts helpful, or accept as a solution if it resolved your issue >>>
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card