cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 5508 WLC With 802.11ac APs (1702i)

nateg.iphone
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day,

I am new to the Wireless LAN controller but I feel my job is going to require we switch to them sooner rather than later. So I'm taking it upon myself to learn, that being said, I apologize for being ignorant to this platform. I do have some questions regarding the Cisco 5508 WLCs and Cisco Aironet 1702i Access Points. I know I should take a course on this stuff from Cisco, but this is a "home experiment" to help with crappy WiFi signal through my home (I do not know why it is not good but I can't get a good signal from one house to the other and I'm renting so I'm not going to troubleshoot that much) and I don't have funds for that right now.

I've tried to research but I am apparently not using the correct keywords and I'm sure this has come up before, for that I apologize for this additional thread post.

I have the opportunity to purchase a Cisco 5508 WLC with permanent licenses on it (in various quantities) but I've been reading some confusing "details" if you will... 

I know the 5508 device itself is not wireless, but I've seen some people advertise it as 802.11n so my first question is this...

Does the 5508 WLC limit bandwidth to the APs or is that based on the APs connection to the switch? I would assume it is the APs connection to the switch and I would connect utilizing the full 802.11ac bandwidth but I would like to verify before I dump a couple of hundred dollars into an experiment. The APs I am looking at are the 1702i Access Points because they are relatively cheap and they are wireless AC with a mesh option and POE. (I would like to be able to walk around my home and not lose connectivity because I've gone too far from one AP).

Are the licenses interchangeable? Meaning if I remove one Access Point will it free up a license so I can add another one at a later time? (I would assume they are)

What is the difference between the "StoreIndex-0 and StoreIndex-1" where the licenses are stored? I've noticed some say the permanent licenses are in StoreIndex-0 while others are in StoreIndex-1.

Finally, if a firmware (IOS) is updated, do you have to reload the AP licenses? I would prefer not to since it would come with licenses and I wouldn't

Again, I apologize for you all having to read this type again if you are, I simply cannot find answers to these questions.

Here's an example of the Store Index I was asking about...

(Cisco Controller) >show license summary

License Store: Primary License Storage
StoreIndex:  0 Feature: base                              Version: 1.0
        License Type: Permanent
        License State: Active, Not in Use
        License Count: Non-Counted
        License Priority: Medium
License Store: Primary License Storage
StoreIndex:  0 Feature: base-ap-count                     Version: 1.0
        License Type: Permanent
        License State: Active, In Use
        License Count: 100 / 100 (Active/In-use)
        License Priority: Medium

License Store: Evaluation License Storage
StoreIndex:  1 Feature: base-ap-count                     Version: 1.0
        License Type: Evaluation
        License State: Inactive
            Evaluation total period: 8 weeks 4 days
            Evaluation period left: 8 weeks 4 days
        License Count: 500 / 0 (Active/In-use)
        License Priority: None

Thank you all in advance for even taking the time to read this post and the assistance provided.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@nateg.iphone wrote:

Does the 5508 WLC limit bandwidth to the APs or is that based on the APs connection to the switch?

If the WLC is loaded with the correct firmware, bandwidth can be enabled on an SSID-level.  The options are per-user bandwidth shaping or per-SSID.

@nateg.iphone wrote:

1702i Access Points because they are relatively cheap and they are wireless AC with a mesh option and POE.

1702 support only 802.11 a/b/g/n.  802.11ac is NOT supported.

@nateg.iphone wrote:

Are the licenses interchangeable? Meaning if I remove one Access Point will it free up a license so I can add another one at a later time?

License is based on how many APs are joined to the WLC.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@nateg.iphone wrote:

Does the 5508 WLC limit bandwidth to the APs or is that based on the APs connection to the switch?

If the WLC is loaded with the correct firmware, bandwidth can be enabled on an SSID-level.  The options are per-user bandwidth shaping or per-SSID.

@nateg.iphone wrote:

1702i Access Points because they are relatively cheap and they are wireless AC with a mesh option and POE.

1702 support only 802.11 a/b/g/n.  802.11ac is NOT supported.

@nateg.iphone wrote:

Are the licenses interchangeable? Meaning if I remove one Access Point will it free up a license so I can add another one at a later time?

License is based on how many APs are joined to the WLC.

Your throughput is you don’t place any polices is between the ap and the switch and the switch to the router. If you have a wlc with license, then. You can install any ap as long as you don’t go over the set amount of license on the controller. So you can remove one and replace it with another, or keep adding until you hit your max.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

@Leo Laohoo wrote

@nateg.iphone wrote:

1702 support only 802.11 a/b/g/n.  802.11ac is NOT supported

I attached a picture of the back of the 1702i that is listed for sale...

According to the back of the 1702i it is supported, are you sure it doesn't support AC wireless?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: