Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Aironet 1242AG WLAN speed

rolakron1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I have a Aironet 1242AG and I would like to know if it possible to get it to operate at 108 Mbps speed? I have tried to google for answers and it seems that the 1240 supports 108 Mbps but I can't find how to configure it. At the moment it operates at 54 Mbps speed at both radios (2,4 GHz and 5 GHz bands).
I hope that I put this question under the correct category.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The maximum supported data rate on the 1242 AP is 54 Mbps on either radio:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/collaboration-endpoints/unified-ip-phone-7900-series/product_data_sheet0900aecd8031c844.html 

Keep in mind that this is data rates not throughput.

There is a good blog piece done about data rates vs throughput of a wireless network here:

https://www.ekahau.com/blog/2018/07/02/fast-or-furious-real-world-wi-fi-data-rate-vs-throughput-re-cap/

The data rate you are referring to of 108 is combining both radios, not to a single client.

hope this helps

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

Correct, 

The end device or devices will get 54Mbps (pending on signal strength), this speed (the 54Mbps) will be shared between the X amount of devices associated with the 2.4GHz radio and the same will go for the 5GHz, therefore the reason you saw the statement regarding the 108Mbps.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@rolakron1 wrote:

I have a Aironet 1242AG and I would like to know if it possible to get it to operate at 108 Mbps speed?

(Let's do the math:  What is the speed of the wired port?  100 Mbps, right?)

Without consulting the data sheet, I'd have to say the AP can support 2x2:1.  This brings to a speed of about 75 Mbps in a single direction.

As it is connected now I have 100 Mbps on the ethernet port.

Jurgens L
Level 3
Level 3
The 108Mbps is the theoretical capacity of the AP when you use both 2.4 and 5GHz, not for the client’s connection. Unfortunately with WiFi, it’s a half duplex technology so if you connect with your end device at 54Mbps, your actual throughput will be half plus you need to take in account for all the management frame overhead which can take another 10% of that. I would normally give someone a 40% expectation of what they will get from their advertised speeds.

If you want to get higher speeds per client connection, you will need 802.11n or 802.11ac

<<< Please rate useful posts >>>

Ah, ok. So, for client connections it supports max 54 Mbps? So, they mean by 108 Mbps that you have to use the both radios, maybe?
Yes, I know that the actual speed over WLAN is about the half of the connection speed, thats's why i.e. download speed never exceeds ~2 MBps.

Correct, 

The end device or devices will get 54Mbps (pending on signal strength), this speed (the 54Mbps) will be shared between the X amount of devices associated with the 2.4GHz radio and the same will go for the 5GHz, therefore the reason you saw the statement regarding the 108Mbps.

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The maximum supported data rate on the 1242 AP is 54 Mbps on either radio:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/collaboration-endpoints/unified-ip-phone-7900-series/product_data_sheet0900aecd8031c844.html 

Keep in mind that this is data rates not throughput.

There is a good blog piece done about data rates vs throughput of a wireless network here:

https://www.ekahau.com/blog/2018/07/02/fast-or-furious-real-world-wi-fi-data-rate-vs-throughput-re-cap/

The data rate you are referring to of 108 is combining both radios, not to a single client.

hope this helps

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card