Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Aironet 1560 Series Outdoor Minimum/Best Height? Mesh deployment

r.nobili1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

going throught the Cisco docs, it is not clear as to what is the recommended height for Outdoor APs:

In my specific case they are combined with Omnidirectional Antenna (AIR-ANT2547VG-N).

I know (very well) that the best answer its: "do a site survey and find":  its has already been done, but, without having the opportunity to "try" different heights. I have to physically have "build" the pole i where to install the MAP.

Therefore I would need an answer based on your experience in the field.

Attached my scenario, where I would like to understand at what height to mount the RAP (A) and MAP (B)

Logically: lower pole, the less expensive and complicated the realization.

My concern is therefore: what is the minimum height of the MAP (280 feet to RAP)? Could i place it at 6-9 feet or is it too low?

Many Thanks

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
AIR-ANT2547VG shooting a signal 85 metres away? Too far away.
If this is a point-to-point setup, a yagi would be more suitable.
I noticed that you're trying to shoot the signal across a roadway. For the sake of argument, make the height of the antenna to be, at least, one metre ABOVE the top height of the container truck.

Hi Leo,
it is not a point-to-point setup. The AP on the facade of the building will broadcast an SSID used by 1-2 clients (smartphones target) and the other radio will be used as Backhaul towards the MAP positioned on the pole (obviously he too spreads the same SSID for smartphones).
supplicant bandwidth requirements are minimal (obviously smarphone radios have low gain).
there here is no container or obstruction, the 3D design is exactly as it is in reality (the rectangle you see is a platform for landing helicopters).

if 85m (280 feet) requires a yagi, what is required to make connections like 1000 feet (300m) / 4000 feet (1.2km)? parabolic?

So you have two APs: One AP (closest to the WLC) and another one far away.
That's already a point-to-point setup.
The Mesh AP will not only be a backhaul (to the RAP) but will also serve clients.
85 metres means a patch or a yagi. Because there is a road running perpendicular this rules out patch. Yagi is the way to go.
Height will depend entirely on the highest obstacle between the two APs and then add about 1 metre above that (2 metres to play it safe).

@r.nobili1 wrote:
if 85m (280 feet) requires a yagi, what is required to make connections like 1000 feet (300m) / 4000 feet (1.2km)? parabolic?

A different solution.  Try Silvernet.

@Scott Fella, you have any other vendor in mind?

My feedback would be place it at a height that doesn’t exceed, but keep in mind that the minimum height is for people safety and is recommended to be followed. You also don’t want people to be able to reach your equipment.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: