Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Ap console connection issue through Usb-serial converter

Hi

I'am trying to connect to AP-1042N console port using a Usb serial converter.

I can connect to one cisco 2950 switch with the same usb serial converter.

I can connect the AP directly to a desktop serial port without the serial usb converter

The usb-serial converter works fine qith routers switches, but the ciso AP.

Is there a known issue with the AP console port with the usb-serial converter?

Thanks

32 Replies 32

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I use a USB-serial all the time and it works like a champ. One thing to check, make sure flow control is set to off.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks I,ll check it

Have the same problem, I can console into routers fine, but access point 3702 doesn't respond on the console. I have usb-to-serial cable. Did anyone here figured out the problem?

Having the same problem - as per the advice here I've now tried three different kinds of USB-serial cables with no result. Can connect to routers and switches just fine.

I'm using SecureCRT, but also tried Putty - no result.

Very, very annoying.

AP's are different as you need to make sure your setting is 9600 8-N-1.  Many here have stated that they too can connect to a router and switch, but really doesn't mean you can connect to an AP.  Sorry you are having such bad luck. Once I find a good console cable, I pretty much don't use any other.

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott

Routers and switches are also 9600 8N1.. seems to be something extra the AP is expecting from the serial interface. Three different cables I have all have the issue.

Use the right cable is the right answer - but without knowing which ones work ordering online is just rolling the dice. I could buy another three and still be unable to talk to the AP...

Well it's either you have a bad AP, a bad console cable or a finicky setting.  I have used these:

Gopala 6 FT(1.8M) Cisco Console Cable with FTDI Chip , Usb to Rj45 cable

GetConsole and others make a cable with the FTDI Chip and it's an all in one. 

If you can't access a few AP's then you can isolate the issue to the console cable.  However if you can access other Cisco AP's and not one, then it's a bad AP.

-Scott 

-Scott

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sounds like the console settings on the ap may have been changed .. Did you reset the ap back to factory ?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

It Is an out of the box ap

It was a rs232 -usb cable issue

The settings in your terminal program need to be 9600/none/8/1 and flow controll off/none.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HTH,
Steve

Hi,

I have the same USB to serial convertor cable as I dont have a serial port on my laptop. Using this I am not able to console Cisco access points. I have tried on Cisco Aironet 1100 & 1200 series Access points yet.

But with the same cable, I am able to console into Cisco Switches and routers.

Keeping settings like Stephen Rodriguez suggested above also does not work.

If I use the console cable through my PC which has an inbuilt serial port, it works like a charm with same settings. I replaced the USB-Serial adapter but still the problem remains the same. Baffo Adapter image attached.

I will appreciate if someone has figured out the solution. The problem still persists.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have never used that. This is what I have used forever and I have had no issues at all. I have used this on windows and macs.

http://www.cablestogo.com/product/26886

-Scott

abhisgu2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Esteban,  Did you get a fix to this problem ?  It seems even 4 years later this issue still persists.

I am using a usb to serial converter but its not working with the AP, but works great with other switches and routers.

Let me know if you got a workaround or a fix to this issue.

Abhishek

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card