Make sure flow control is disabled. This is a setting that is different from routers and switches.
Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App
That didnt work. I have tried all possible combinations with Flow control, "None", "Xon,/Xoff", "Hardware". Even tried to change the software from tera term to Putty. Its just not working.
You need to find another cable. There have been other post in the past with the same issue you have and they ended up using a different USB cable.
I have recently used this along with their Air-Console and iPad/iPhone RedPark cable. The cable seems to be very stable with certain windows machines that tend to blue screen with various prolific drivers. I run this cable also on a MacBook.
Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App
I seem to be having the same cable issues the other posts mentioned. Is it something to do with the cable being non-prolific, vs prolific?
I'm with the same problem access-point 3802 access console issue, but routers and switch access very well.
Anyone knows what is the fix ?
I had this problem. I could connect to routers and switches but with the same cable it was impossible to connect to an access point. I use Linux/Ubuntu and minicom software.
I decided to try with a different software. I chose putty and it worked on the first attempt.
Maybe you should try with a different software.
The settings for the switch/routers can be a bit different... with wireless, most of the time its due to flow control being set to something other than None. Why is this or why does wireless equipment have more trouble.... who knows. I have just stuck with SecureCRT, also use Putty and MobaXterm. The cable I use is Get-Console and also use their Air Console.
USB to Serial
You need to try a different Ian to serial and also a different device. If you search the forum, you will see that many have had issues and some was fixed with getting a different use to serial device. Even if the sub to serial works on other devices doesn't mean it will work on an AP. Yeah that is weird to say, but it's true:)
I have difficulty connect to Cisco 702i AP using ATEN UC232a USB-Serial Cable also.
Baudrate etc are set accordingly.
With the same USB-Serial cable I can connect with other devices flawlessly.
My OS is Windows 10. It caused the OS bluscreen.
After updated drivers to the latest version, v1.0.083, the bluescreen gone but the connection is lagging.
Are you guys have any USB-Serial brand & model that have been proven to work flawlessly for Cisco AP?
THIS IS IS THE ANSWER!
It's the USB/serial convertor cable that causes this problem. There is more than one chipset available in these cables. They aren't all the same.
The USB serial convertor you want to fix this problem must have an FTDI chipset. My older cables work fine on routers and switches, they don't work on AP's. My new FTDI cable does. I did not have to change my serial setting in my terminal emulator software (I prefer SecureCRT). It was absolutely a limitation of my old cable. Same terminal settings - FTDI console cable works on the AP, old cable doesn't.
Order a new cable from somewhere, look for an FTDI chipset, and you'll be back in business.
As of this morning, I too have started experiencing this issue.
Yesterday afternoon, I was consoled in successfully to an AIR-CAP1602E-A-K9. I had converted it from a SAP to the CAP lightweight code via the console cable. I was able to watch it boot multiple times and was able to debug the CAPWAP establishment process via the console.
No piece of equipment was moved or changed overnight. Laptop is still connected with the same cable into the same AP with minicom running this entire time.
As I sit down this morning to continue working on this AP... it now is displaying garbage characters in the terminal emulator. I have restarted the AP multiple times, I have restarted minicom multiple times, .... even attempted a different term emulator, and have tested every possible variant of baud, stop bits, and flow control, I have even reseated all connectors on the console to USB cabling.... nothing will return the console on this AP to functioning again.
It worked fine not 12 hours ago and now is no longer communicating... while it was left untouched.
Turns out that somehow overnight the new blue Cisco cable had gone bad. I found that it was spewing out characters to minicom when it was unplugged. Swapped in another new Cisco console cable and my term is back functioning.