Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco AP2800 Unable to Join controller

ade1dapo2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Seniors,

I need your help please.I just bought and updated an aironet 2802i cisco mobility express to firmware 8.10.

While trying to join another AP to the controller,i got the below error message.

Discarding msg CAPWAP_WTP_EVENT_REQUEST(type 9) in CAPWAP state: Image Data(10).

Has anyone seen this before?Please suggest possible solutions.

Warm regards,

12 Replies 12

ade1dapo2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Seniors,

PLease help attend to this,I did a show ap image all on the controller and saw that my controller is already running version 8.10.105 while the AP i intend to join is still on 8.3.143.

When i connect the AP it automatically download the image file from the tftp server via the controller but its not updating and its not joining the controller.

The error i got when i checked through CLI is

Discarding msg CAPWAP_WTP_EVENT_REQUEST(type 9) in CAPWAP state: Image Data(10).

Please help out

Is the other AP you are trying to join supported?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html#pgfId-393660
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your comment.I am however not clear about what you mean.

The controller is running an image with version 8.10.105 while the AP am trying to join has an image with version 8.3.143.

How do I know if the Joining AP supports the controller?

thanks as I await your feedback

what @Scott Fella  suggesting was, have you checked the compatibility list 

is your WLC controller support your AP2800 ? 

Since you have not mentioned what Controller you have in the post. - so suggesting to check the compatibility matrix.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you for the response,I use a 2800 Cisco mobility express AP as controller and I am trying to join other 2800 AP that runns capwap image to the 2800 Cisco mobility express 

What model is the other AP you are trying to join? Is it another 2800?
-Scott

Hi Scott,

Yes,it’s another 2800 series AP

What you can do then is try to upload a newer recovery image to your ap just in case the issue is with the older code on the AP. You can always upload the ME image also that you are using on the master ME ap.
-Scott

Hi Scott,

I appreciate your concern.The image I have pre downloaded on my AP mobility express is the latest release-8.10.105 which is also the version the mobility express is running.

I still can’t figure out why the joining AP can’t download this image from the Cisco mobility express controller AP.

I read something about downloading Atleast MR3 release update.Should I consider downgrading the firmware to an image of Atleast MR3?

It wouldn’t hurt to try. Since no other AP’s are joining, I too would probably try different code versions. You did make sure that the time is set correctly on the master?
-Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the support,i really appreciate.I downloaded an image with atleast 3 MR and the client AP was able to join perfectly.

I want to believe some images are not yet stable,so it is generally recommended to download an image that has atleast three maintenance release.That way,it will work seamlessly.

The rule of thumb is MR3 is the earliest firmware that is usually stable. Anything else is 50/50 depending on your environment and features you use. Now it doesn’t mean that MR3 and later are rock solid, you just have to test and make sure all your features are working.
-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card