cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco CAP-1602E external antennas in separate rooms

Hu371
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question about external antennas on an access point. I have to plan a wireles solution, that also includes coverage in the industrial freezers.

The freezers are one part of the sotck rooms, so the general coverage will be done with 1602I access points.

Since there are quite a lot of freezers in one location, installing separate AP in every freezer will be very expensive. I wondered if there is a possibility to put one 1602 access point with external antennas outside the freezer and then extend the antennas with 2m cables inside different freezers (1602E has three external antennas, so one antenna to each freezer).

Would this installation even work?

The freezers are quite small rooms maybe 2-3m2 sow the coverage is not a problem. But does this installation support multiple clients per AP in different freezers doing stocktaking with handheld terminals?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Harri,

Let's take a few steps back.  My question is this:  Do you need CleanAir/CleanAir Express?

If the answer is no, then why bother with the 1600E?  Try looking at the 1260?   With the 1260 you can disable diversity and each antenna port is a single band radio.  The 1600 is a dual-band radio per antenna port.

Another thing, the you can get third-party antennas for the 1260.  You can get third-party antennas for the 1600 but they are not easy to find.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Won't work.  Let me explain why:

1.  The antennas for the 1600 is designed to work as one.  One transmit and two receive.

2.  "Extending" the antenna means that you need to furnish a long cable.  And the longer the cable, the higher the "loss" of the signal from the antenna, down the cable, to the AP and back.

3.  Sticking the antenna INSIDE the freezer is OK but expecting the signal outside the freezer?  Won't work because the "shell" of the freezer is metal. 

Thak you for a quick reply.

Are the antennas(transmitting/recieving) dynamicly chosen per client / per session? If two associated clients are connected in different freezer, will they both be able to use the handterminals? If there we would choose to use 2602E (with 4 external antennas) and but two antennas into one freezer and two into the other freezer, will then multiple clients be able to user the wireless connection simultaniously?

Coverage outside the freezers is done with different AP-s.

The signal loss per cable will be taken into consideration.

Harri,

Let's take a few steps back.  My question is this:  Do you need CleanAir/CleanAir Express?

If the answer is no, then why bother with the 1600E?  Try looking at the 1260?   With the 1260 you can disable diversity and each antenna port is a single band radio.  The 1600 is a dual-band radio per antenna port.

Another thing, the you can get third-party antennas for the 1260.  You can get third-party antennas for the 1600 but they are not easy to find.

CleanAir/CleanAir Express features are not needed. I will look into the 1260 acces points.

Thank you.

Announced EOL in april 2013 already. Can't propose that to any customer anymore. We are stuck to the x600 range i guess.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: