cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco LWAPP Firmware/IOS Peer Sharing

Peter Kelly
Level 1
Level 1

On Cisco CUCM there is the option for peer firmwar sharing between IP handsets to reduce the bandwidth requirements on the WAN towards the TFTP server.  Is there a similar feature on Cisco wireless for upgrading APs when they are moved to a new controller and/or the WLC is upgraded?

4 Replies 4

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Predownloading an Image to an Access Point
To minimize network outages, you can now download an upgrade image to the access point from the controller without resetting the access point or losing network connectivity.

Once you upload a new IOS to WLC...then (dont reload WLC ) go to Wireless > Global Configuartion and under AP Image pre download click on primary. 

MOre info: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/5700/software/release/3se/system_management/configuration_guide/b_sm_3se_5700_cg/b_sm_32se_5700_cg_chapter_01111.html

Regards

Dont forget to arte helpful posts

Thanks. I’m moving the APs from an old WLC cluster to a new pair. This means the APs won’t be in a flex connect group until the initially register with the new AP and download the new software.
Is there any way to push the newer AP software on the older WLC without actually pushing a new WLC software image?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the APs are in FlexConnect (aka H-REAP) then this is possible.  One of the APs becomes the "Master" and during the pre-download the Master AP would push the IOS down to the slave.  

This is, of course, on the presumption that the slave and master APs are of the same "generation".

Thanks. I’m moving the APs from an old WLC cluster to a new pair. This means the APs won’t be in a flex connect group until the initially register with the new AP and download the new software.
I guess this FlexConnect feature is only useful when upgrading software on the WLC the APs are connected to?
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card