Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco softphone over wireless

ciscoscott2012
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm looking to design a wireless network to support IP communicator and I was wondering if anyone else has done this and what challenges they faced.

The main challenge that I have is how to handle both voice and data over the same ssid, I understand that I will need to set platinum qos level on the ssid as it needs to handle both platinum (voice) and silver (data) traffic. Is there anything else that needs to be configured on the WLC?

how about codecs for voice as well? Is G711 acceptable or is G729 more suitable for wireless?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I too would like to see what others are doing about this

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

yes you will need to set the platinum queue on that WLAN.

What should happen, is the softphone will set EF on it's packets, and the underlying OS shouldn't.   So anytraffic from the phone gets wrapped with EF/6 AP to WLC, and EF to the LAN.  Same thing in reverse from the LAN.

Any other application shouldn't be setting a mark, but what you can do to stop them if they are, is run the traffic through a policy-map to remark any traffic.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card