Helpful
Replies

Cisco Wireless LAN controller 5520

manzeel
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All, 

Need your feedback regarding cisco wireless  lan controller 5520

Do we need to upload cisco boot image for cisco wlc 5520 controller in UCS Server..I am able to login to Cisco Intergrated Management controller but after that server goes to message in console saying "Cisco Bootloader Loading Stage 2..."

Need your input in this.

Thanks In Advance

22 Replies 22

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The CIMC is to access the UC side, but if you console into the 5520 doe you get the startup wizard?  The CIMC can be upgraded but I guess my question is, do you see anything from the console?

If nothing is showing, then opening up a TAC case is probably a good idea.

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott

Hello Scott,

When I opened console from CIMC it says "Cisco Bootloader Loading Stage 2." i opened the server for around 45 mins but i did not see any progress besides above message. do i need to upload image or it comes pre-loaded since it is a server.

Don't use the console from CIMC, but connect a console cable to the console port.     Make sure you only have a connection on the console and not the CIMC at the same time. I ran into the same issue when the console port was connected to a term server.

-Scott 

-Scott

There is no dedicated console port, however i used the Front panel KVM/Console connector and still got the same output.

You don't have anything connected to the rear console port when using the KVM?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-1/5520-WLC-DG/b_Cisco-5520-WLC-deployment-guide.html#topic_D60AE2655A9F4557A500ED4DA1B3414F

There is a console port on the rear.

-Scott 

-Scott

Dear Scott,

Thanks for the help.. i am able to access my device now.

Although i have another problem..

In my switch i have configured trunk port to wLC with vlan 20,30 and 1

>for service port i have 192.168.1.0\24 network :i.e 192.168.1.250 which i am able to access wLC and ping 

>for management interface vlan 20: ie:10.20.20.20

>for Guest Network vlan 30:10.30.30.30

in switch i have configured ip for both vlan 20  and 30 and from switch i am able to ping AP ip address in vlan 20 as well as vlan 30.. however i am not able to ping management ip of WLC.

due to which my ap are not able to join the controller..

so please help me with it...

Your service port should not be on a routed network that has connectivity to the management interface. Since you have an IP address for the service port, don't connect it to the network. 

Your management interface should also be tagged for vlan 20 and since you are allowing vlan 20 on the trunk you should be able to ping anything on that subnet. 

Post your show interface detailed management and your switch port config.

if you configure another port on vlan 20 and connect your laptop, can you PING the gateway?

-Scott 

-Scott

Dear Scott, Thanks for the help, i am able to access the controller by make some changes in the  configuration and all aps are communicating with WLC.

Scott,Need  your suggestion regarding deployment in my organization.

In my organization i have  existing 192.168.1.0/20 network pools for wired clients with 10 branches all receiving ip from Central DHCP Server. now my organization wants to connectivity through wireless with having 172.16.1.0/20 for corporate wireless clients and  10.0.1.0/20 for Guest users on all branch and  HO. I will have three ssid broadcast ed  from wlc for above network. i will trunk port all the vlans to wlc and MAP ssid as per vlan. now my question is what should i configure in switch for ap as trunk or access since i will have probably 1 or may be 2 ap in branch for now and need to broadcast all three ssid with tagged vlan to respective networks. Does WLC will take care for the tagged ssid in branch. also as some of the traffic of the branch need to terminated in branch only for the locally available servers without bringing those traffic to wlc.will AP in Flex Mode will meet the requirement for branch and local for HO.

If you plan on putting traffic local to each site, then FlexConnect is what you need. AP's will need to be on a dot1q trunk and vlans allowed. The AP management will need to be the native vlan for that trunk also.  You will need to enable FlexConnect local switching on the wlan and then also create FlexConnect groups so you can map the wlan to the vlan at that site. If the vlans id is the same on all sites, it makes it easy, but not a requirement.

-Scott 

-Scott

Do i have to enable flex mode in ap and map wlan-vlan in HO Office too in order to broadcast all the vlan network over wireless through WLC?

If the APs are local to the controller, then no. Leave them in local mode. Only AP's that you want to not have traffic tunnel back to the controller is when your AP mode needs to be flex.

-Scott 

-Scott

Scott my WLC 5520 creates continuous high sound which is unbearable. initially both unit were running in single power mode but when i used dual power mode problem is still the same. As WLC 5520 is new to me and i have only previously used 2500 series controller. Is this controller creating such sounds is normal or do i need to worry about it. I am running both wlc in my lab for past 10 days and sound that both controller creates is very high.   

The 5520 is a UCS server and sounds like an airplane taking off. Yes it is normal as the 2504 is very very quiet.  

-Scott 

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: