Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WLC 2504 - Access Points do not join controller

spitalfmi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody

We bougth a Cisco WLC 2504 with two AIR-AP2702I-UXK9 Access Points. The problem is, that the AP's do not join the WLC.
The "show ap join stats" output shows the following:

(Cisco Controller) >show ap join stats summary all

Base Mac             AP EthernetMac       AP Name                 IP Address         Status
00:35:1a:b1:a9:60    00:f2:8b:f4:1a:9c    AP00f2.8bf4.1a9c        192.168.10.23      Not Joined
00:35:1a:c9:99:b0    00:f2:8b:77:b7:fc    AP00f2.8b77.b7fc        192.168.10.24      Not Joined

(Cisco Controller) >show ap join stats detailed 00:35:1a:b1:a9:60

Sync phase statistics
- Time at sync request received............................ Not applicable
- Time at sync completed................................... Not applicable

Discovery phase statistics
- Discovery requests received.............................. 114
- Successful discovery responses sent...................... 114
- Unsuccessful discovery request processing................ 0
- Reason for last unsuccessful discovery attempt........... Not applicable
- Time at last successful discovery attempt................ Jun 16 20:15:40.106
- Time at last unsuccessful discovery attempt.............. Not applicable

Join phase statistics
- Join requests received................................... 57
- Successful join responses sent........................... 57
- Unsuccessful join request processing..................... 0
- Reason for last unsuccessful join attempt................ Not applicable
- Time at last successful join attempt..................... Jun 16 20:15:50.414
- Time at last unsuccessful join attempt................... Not applicable

Configuration phase statistics

- Configuration requests received.......................... 114
- Successful configuration responses sent.................. 0
- Unsuccessful configuration request processing............ 57
- Reason for last unsuccessful configuration attempt....... Invalid License in configuration request
- Time at last successful configuration attempt............ Not applicable
- Time at last unsuccessful configuration attempt.......... Jun 16 20:15:50.810

Last AP message decryption failure details
- Reason for last message decryption failure............... Not applicable

Last AP disconnect details
- Reason for last AP connection failure.................... Not applicable
- Last AP disconnect reason................................ Unknown failure reason

Last join error summary
- Type of error that occurred last......................... Lwapp configuration request rejected
- Reason for error that occurred last...................... Invalid License in configuration request
- Time at which the last join error occurred............... Jun 16 20:15:50.810

AP disconnect details
- Reason for last AP connection failure.................... Not applicable
 Ethernet Mac : 00:f2:8b:f4:1a:9c  Ip Address : 192.168.10.23

Would appreciate some help.

best regards,
Marc

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Marc,

First make sure your controller has software code 8.0.x or above, if not upgrade it first. Here is the recommended code by TAC

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/wireless-lan-controller-software/200046-TAC-Recommended-AireOS.html

Then try the above UX deployment guide to prime it. Under WLAN advanced tab, you need to enable "universal ap prime" in order to use that provisioning app & connect to the AP.

If you have more than 1 AP, then you only need to prime 1AP using this application. Other APs you can power them up, while initial AP is also powered, so they will use protocal called NDP & prime them automatically

Let us know how it goes

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Hi Marc,

You have to prime these UX ap model in order to register them properly. Have you tried below document procedure

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-0/AP_Regulatory_Domain_DG/b_universal_AP_regulatory_domain_DG.html

You need to have AireOS 8.x or above fro this

Still fails, attach AP console output when it try to register your WLC

HTH

Rasika

Hi Rasika,

Thanks for your help. I will try to prime the AP's tomorrow.
The document you provided says that there is no particular configuration required on WLC for the UX AP's to associate. But in my case, I can't even see the AP's on the controller's GUI. I can ping the AP's from the controller and vice versa.

best regards,
Marc

Hi Marc,

First make sure your controller has software code 8.0.x or above, if not upgrade it first. Here is the recommended code by TAC

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/wireless-lan-controller-software/200046-TAC-Recommended-AireOS.html

Then try the above UX deployment guide to prime it. Under WLAN advanced tab, you need to enable "universal ap prime" in order to use that provisioning app & connect to the AP.

If you have more than 1 AP, then you only need to prime 1AP using this application. Other APs you can power them up, while initial AP is also powered, so they will use protocal called NDP & prime them automatically

Let us know how it goes

HTH

Rasika

Hi Rasika,

After I made a reset of the AP's (by press and hold the mode button), they finally joined the controller. Then I was able to prime the AP's accoring to the online guide by using the Cisco AirProvision App on a Android Phone.

So thanks again,
Marc

It would really help of the app worked on android 6.0.1... even after diabling mock locations it still doesn't work... the ratings on the app sadly all have the same issue

Hi All,

I am also having similar issue with my 2504 Wireless Controller. It is not seen all the AP or AP is not joining the controller. The recovery image: 7.6.101.1.

I am not also able to download and upgrade the firmware because i done have a service contract. I bought 2 pieces of these WLC from a local Vendor who also does not have neither service or vendor contract too.

I need help with the update version of firmware. I need help.

I have cisco 2504 controller will it support cisco AIR-AP3802I-D-K9C access point

Yes the 2504 will support the 3802 APs.  You will need to have the correct software on the WLC  8.3 and 8.5 codes are the two I would recommend.  I suggest reading over the release notes on them to determine which one will work better for you.  

2504 WLC only has a maximum throughput of 1 gig !

David

As I gone through Cisco website and found that Cisco 2504 controller end of life has been expired on April 2018 so I have some query on it-

(1)What is end of life of a device and how its affect the device in terms of Cisco support and license?

(2)Will this controller supports Cisco APs any longer, if yes then what is the process?

Also please suggest me for 5-10 Cisco 3802i APs which latest Cisco controller should use for small business. Please help me out with this. 

Hi there, my Cisco AP joining WLC, (image 8.0.152) Here are the log message of WLC.

Kindly help 

*spamApTask3: Dec 16 17:07:24.284: %DTLS-3-HANDSHAKE_FAILURE: openssl_dtls.c:852 Failed to complete DTLS handshake with peer 10.100.102.33
*spamApTask3: Dec 16 17:07:24.284: %LOG-3-Q_IND: spam_lrad.c:1695 Ignoring discovery request received on a wrong VLAN (48) on interface (1) in L3 LWAPP mode from AP 00:1e:4a:e4:7f:70[...It occurred 3 times.!]
*spamApTask0: Dec 16 17:07:20.455: %LWAPP-3-DISC_INTF_ERR2: spam_lrad.c:1695 Ignoring discovery request received on a wrong VLAN (48) on interface (1) in L3 LWAPP mode from AP 00:1e:4a:e4:7f:70

place the ap manager on the same subnet. remember the registration process the AP's go through. If the aps are on a different subnet than the management, you might want to setup option 43 or dns to help the AP's find the wlc... Especially if you start changing the ip address.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card