Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WLC 8.2 upgrade and Prime Infrastructure 2.2.3

John King
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

At my workplace, we have a setup which contains Cisco 5508 WLC's currently running 7.6, mainly to enable us to use the 3702 access points. These work fine with our Prime Infrastructure device, which is running version 2.2.3. There is no upgrade path for this device as it is a Gen 1, and doesn't support Version 3.

We are now looking at installing some new 3802 access points, which as far as I can tell, have no support until WLC version 8.2.131.

All the information I have seen or could locate does not show support for Prime to manage the WLC with version higher than 8.1.131.

The only things we really use Prime for at the moment are to provide tracking of clients, monitoring of Access Points and Heat maps, with some netflow thrown in.

My Questions are:

Can Prime 2.2.3 support WLC Version 8.2.131 or 8.3.102?

Can WLC Version 8.1.131 (or lower) support the 3802 Access Point?

3 Replies 3

WiFi Trainers
Level 1
Level 1

Hi John,

PI 2.2.3 has support till WLC code 8.1.131.0 only. 

3802 AP's are supported only from 8.2.110.0 code. 

Below is the compatibility matrix which shows all this info in detail:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html#pgfId-147162

Best Regards,

www.wifitrainers.com

Learn from the Best To be the Best!

Join us on LinkedIn to get access to our free tech-talks and training resources!!!

I understand there is no official support and have gone through these documents. What I would like to know is if the devices can connect at all to each other.

So can the Prime 2.2.3 connect and pull information from the WLC at Version 8.3 at all?

We don't use it for configuration monitoring or management, just for monitoring.

Hi John,

You might be able to add it. But a lot of features may stop working like inventory collection, config backup. Maps will stop displaying heatmaps correctly which is something I have personally seen even with PI 3.1.0 (which does not support 3802). It can also cause other unpredictable behaviors since it is not something that goes through testing cycles. I would recommend not using it.

Best Regards,

www.wifitrainers.com

Learn from the Best To be the Best!

Join us on LinkedIn to get access to our free tech-talks and training resources!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card