Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WLC in new 1852 Series with Mobility Express Connection Drops

ositechintl
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I recently purchased Cisco Access Point model 1852 of 5 qty's.

I am able to configure one AP as controller using the mobility express option and rest all of the AP's are associated with primary AP.

I can see if the primary AP is down, then the next long connected AP is able to act as the controller.

Here the problem is i can see there is lot of latency and connection drop.

Also all the AP is acting in the flexconnect mode.

How to resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Ramesh

6 Replies 6

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You are seeing latency between the AP's?

The 1800's when configured as a standalone mobility express controller only support Flexconnect mode.

Hi Philip,

i didn't found any latency between the AP's but there is connection drop to the AP default gateway.

Consider AP1 which is configured with SSID as Test1 with open auth, and I have another 3 AP's which is connected to to primary AP1, after sometime I changed the Test1 SSID with WPA2 Personal, which is working fine

But after few hours I can see I got disconnected by SSID and it connects automatically into to the open auth, also I can see another AP is acting as primary controller say AP3

I wondering how to resolve this issue where I can see lot packet drops such a scenario

Thanks,

Ramesh

If you changed the SSID details, make sure you delete the SSID from your device then then re-add it.

The WLC will not suddenly change the config back (unless you forgot the save the config and it got rebooted).

Hi Philip,

Of course i saved the config, also if i shut the AP3 then the other AP1 or AP4 will be acting as master which shows same SSID which is still having the config with the password.

Ok i will be winding this issue and taking the virtual wireless controller for the demo.

If someone finds the solution for this please let us will give a try once again.

Thanks,

Ramesh

Randall Nieland
Level 1
Level 1

I have an 1852e that I'm running at home as my primary access point now, or at least the intention to do so. I'm also seeing a lot of connection drops, data rates bouncing all over the map at the client end. Anywhere from 144Mbps to 866Mbps sitting 4 feet from the AP. In the controller web interface, if I change the channel width from 40MHz to 80MHz and save the config, clients immediately bump up to higher data rates, then after a period of time, it's back down to 40MHz again.

The 8.2.100 release appeared to resolve some of this for a while, but it's back with a vengence. I haven't put a great deal of time into this yet, but wanted to add another voice to the connection drop issue, even in a single AP configuration running in Mobility Express mode. My intention is to add the AP in my ASA 5506X-W, but until I can get one AP stable, seems rather pointless.

This whole Mobility Express thing doesn't really seem fully baked yet, and certainly not all that easy to support if I ever try to install at a client site and have them manage the day to day. I opted to use myself as the proving ground, and it's admittedly been frustrating enough that I'm probably going to punt and start over next week.

- Randy

Try disabling the 2.4Ghz radio, leaving only 5Ghz enabled.

Also Intel WIFi NICs had a terrible issue with what you are describing above.  Cisco did eventually put in a work around for the Intel bugs, but you need to be running quite new software on the WLC for this.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card