Views
Helpful
Replies

CMX issue with Facebook wifi

ms.borikarn.th
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts,

We've been getting issue with the Connect Experiences feature on CMX (running on version 10.2)

Earlier our guest users cannot using a free wi-fi using fbwifi authentication... it was just redirected to the blank pages on facebook showing errors like 'this page does not exist'

So we had reset the linked FB fanpage on CMX and trued assign a new one, but it was showing error like below 

'Error - Unable to obtain a gateway ID from Facebook. Please check that MSE can reach Facebook and that Facebook's Servers are up, then try again.'

Does anyone had faced the error like this before and how can you solve this?

Update 24-Jul-2018:

Currently the BU Developers is working with Facebook to develop some patch for fix the issue.

the root cause is said to be GDPR policies has been applied on Facebook's side and MAC address (which CMX used for redirecting URL) is not included in the cookies.

Update 14-Aug-2018:

it's confirmed the fixed version is in 10.5 already launched on CCO Download center.
but for the patch of 10.4 (10.4.1-18) , need to get it via TAC channel. I'm downloading the 10.4 patch and check if it's completely solved or not

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ms.borikarn.th
Level 1
Level 1
it's confirmed the fixed version is in 10.5 already launched on CCO Download center.
but for the patch of 10.4 (10.4.1-18) , need to get it via TAC channel. I'm downloading the 10.4 patch and check if it's completely solved or not

View solution in original post

hi Guys,

sorry for confusion, we had hit the same on 10.5
turns out that the fixed is only on 10.4.1-18 (need Cisco TAC to provide special image for download)

i had tried on 10.4.1-18, and we can use the FB-Wifi as usual

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

Mr.Lima
Level 1
Level 1
Same issue here, we are running 10.4.1-15. I see the connection going out to Facebook's servers so I assume that its a problem on FB side.

Hi,

we also got the same...
just wondering how long you've been facing this?
and have you just bypassed the authen for workaround?

We also have it.. Have cases open. So everyone is clear, it affects BOTH cloud or on-prem deployments. It is not limited to either one or have anything to do with the new Engage platform.

Check this out.. https://developers.facebook.com/status/dashboard/

(red) June 22nd some bug fix was rolled out. June 23 our check-ins had problems. Coincidence?

Official bug created:

CSCvk1662

your bug ID is not completed. can you give the correct one?

I also have the TAC case open, but looks like my TAC engineer couldn't get much progress.

they just only follow the document to reassign default FB page...

Thanks.

Here is the response we got:

"This is the correct Bug ID: CSCvk16626, unfortunately, It is not customer visible."

At least it's open, but seems like a lid is being kept on it at this time. I have word that the business unit is involved in trying to develop a fix.

CMX 10.4.1 - CMX Facebook wifi fails with "Unable to obtain a gateway ID from Facebook" error msg
CSCvk16626

Description
Symptom:
When user tried to connect to SSID configured for CMX-Facebook wifi page, it throws the following error msg,

"Unable to obtain a gateway ID from Facebook. Please check that MSE can reach Facebook and that Facebook's Servers are up, then try again"

Conditions:
CMX Connect using Facebook wifi page.

Workaround:
No workaround

Thanks Rob,

our TAC also tells the same that they're having BU looking on this

We need to do some pcap and reproduce the issue to check for the symptoms.

Currently, Facebook Wi-Fi does not support age and country restricted Facebook Pages. We recommend to remove any age and country restrictions from the Facebook Page in order to successfully pair Facebook Wi-Fi with Cisco CMX.
Assigning a System Default Facebook Page
Procedure
Step 1      Log in to Cisco Connected Mobile Experiences (Cisco CMX).
Step 2      Choose CONNECT & ENGAGE > Connect Experiences .
Step 3      In the Facebook Wi-Fi column, click Assign Default.
The Facebook Wi-Fi Configuration option opens in a new browser tab.

Step 4      Perform the following tasks:
a.Select the page.
b.Select the Bypass Mode.
c.Select the Session Length.
d.Click the optional Terms of Service if additional Terms of Service are required.
e.Click Save Settings.
Step 5      After assigning Facebook Wifi Configuration, navigate to Connect Experience tab and click Click Here When Finished.
Note      
When on boarding guest Wi-Fi using Fabcebook Wi-Fi, some guest client browsers displays "Network Not Found" error message. However, if you are using default Facebook WiFi settings for all the locations, you will not encounter this issue. This issue occuers only if you have setup your Facebook WiFi configuration in a Parent-Child location hierarcy, for example, Campus >Bulding>Floor>Zone.

You can pair different facebook pages with different child nodes in the hieraracy, like Campus is paired with Facebook page 1 and Building with Facebook page 2. In this scenarion, you can get the network not found error message while using Facebook Wi-Fi. To resolve this issue, remove the Facebook pairing with all the child nodes to inherit the pairing from the parent..

That isnt our issue, the error happens before any redirect to facebook within CMX so page settings wouldnt matter. Do you have any update from facebook or internal BU when this will be fixed? Thanks

The error appear since we click to "Assign Default" on Facebook WiFi. Please see on attachment. 

ms.borikarn.th
Level 1
Level 1

Currently the BU Developers is working with Facebook to develop some patch for fix the issue.

the root cause is said to be GDPR policies has been applied on Facebook's side and MAC address (which CMX used for redirecting URL) is not included in the cookies.

Is Facebook Wifi working with CMX now?

The bug CSCvk16626's Known Affected Releases is 10.4.1 and now marked as fixed.

I am running CMX 10.4.0-94, but still having this issue. When click on Assign Default, got the error - Unable to obtain a gateway ID from Facebook.

on the DDTS page there's still no version marked as fixed.

TAC engineer has confirmed me the BU dev informed issue has been fixed, now ongoing the test process and will commit the patch after verification is completed. (tentative maybe on this week)
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card