Views
Helpful
Replies

Common Wireless Subnet Across Multiple Sites

rick505d3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Does the Cisco WLC allow two wireless users (on different AP's at different sites) to have the same IP address ? Would Prime Infrastructure (and MSE) allow end users with duplicate IP without skewing location and analytics info ? I know WLC and Prime won't be able to reach a user directly, but there is no requirement for that. Just want to see if this is a viable alternative to allocating a separate IP range for each site (in hundreds).

Scenario::

Site1 --- AP1 --- User1: IP1
Site2 --- AP2 --- User2: IP1

WLAN --- SSID: GuestWifi, Web Auth Passthrough Internal Server, FlexConnect Local Switching

Guest traffic goes out to the internet directly via the site's local ADSL service. Local DHCP server on each site.

Thanks, 

Rick.

2 Replies 2

I would not do this.

It is always useful to have unique IP addresses for clients.

HTH

Rasika

Rasika,

I have a scenario for you then.

A HA pair of WLCs serving multiple customers, all of which have their own APs in FlexConnect mode. The customers are allowed to choose there own private address space for FlexConnect local switching as they have their own VRF. Which implies there could potentially be overlapping address space. Is this supported? If not what is the recommended solution for multi-customer environments?

Thanks heaps!

Brett

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card