Views
Helpful
Replies

config mesh range command - controller based mesh configuration

ROBERT BROOKS
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have to install a wireless mesh network shortly using Cisco 1552 APs.  This will be controller based using 5508 controllers.  The controllers currently have some 1262 APs configured in a mesh and bridging configuration so happy that it all basically works. 

My question is - what is the "config mesh range' command doing on the controller ( or setting the Range(RootAP to MeshAP) setting on the controller mesh GUI.  The default setting is 12000feet and I have left it at default at present.  Just interested in what this is used for - I assume it alters the mesh protocol parameters somehow ( or the RF parameters perhaps ) as it suggests in the guide that mesh APs will reboot following this command being changed.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I believe the range command is only valid for outdoor mesh APs. It will give you an error if you try to set it on a rap that is an indoor mesh ap.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for the response - I will keep at default I think unless I have issues.

Hi r.brooks

config mesh range is solely being used on outdoor mesh devices (1520, 1550) in order to fine tune the timeout of the bridging function (if applicable). It is actually a number that dictates to the outdoor mesh access points (MAPs only) the "distance" of two consequtive MAPs that are bridging traffic. When tuning this one, use the longest distance on any MAP-MAP that are doing mesh bridging. If not sure about the distance, keep the default value.

I hope this helped.

best regards,

George

Thanks for the response - I will keep at default I think unless I have issues.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card