cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

connecting ACCESS point

The_guroo_2
Level 2
Level 2

guys i have a cable broadband installed in my home i just bought cisco 1200 series access point...now can someone please guide me how to configure my access point.....i beleive i have to plugged fastethernet cable coming out of my cable modem to access point after that???? what i have to do ....do ihve to configure the cable modem as wlel or not??? many thanks

2 Replies 2

srosenthal
Level 4
Level 4

The first question is whether or not you need the AP to do NAT? If you were to have used a Linksys or other switch+ap with built in nat/router then you would already be covered.

To answer this question, does your provider give you a registered or unregistered address? If they give you an unregistered address, then you do not need nat. However, most providers only give out one address for home users. If that is the case, you will need to use NAT and DHCP on the AP to allow multiple machines access.

The best thing to do is configure the AP with an IP address and then connect to the web interface to complete the config.

Start here for guides as to how to configure the AP.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/wireless/ps430/tsd_products_support_series_home.html

You might also need a crossover cable from the modem to the AP.

Seth Rosenthal CWNE #55

Naveen Kumar
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

For your reference I am giving you the link to configure the 1200 series  access point, Cisco IOS release 12.4 (10b) JA and 12.3 (8) JEC. this document  will help you to configure the AP from the beginning .

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/wireless/access_point/12.4_10b_JA/configuration/guide/scg12410b.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card