Views
Helpful
Replies

Controller compatible APs

net tech
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are looking to at a Cisco Wireless solution for our office. Looking to start with 4 APs and a controller. 

For the controller we are gonna use a L-AIR-CTVM-5-K9, however not quite sure what APs are compatible with the controller. 

Do we want APs with the C at the end of the part number ? ex.  AIR-AP2802I-B-K9C 

or without ? ex. AIR-AP1852I-B-K9 

Thank you

10 Replies 10

For such a small deployment, no need to have a dedicated controller. You can run WLC functionality within a given AP (it is called ME- Mobility Express deployment)

If you order AP with "C" (ex AIR-AP2802I-B-K9C)  AP already comes with Mobilty Express image, so it is easy to setup . Here is general deployment guide for ME

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-8/b_cisco_mobility_express_8_8/b_cisco_mobility_express_8_8_chapter_01.html

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Thanks Rasika.

So if I understand this correctly event if I get the APs with the Mobilty Express image, I can easily convert them to the non Mobilty Express version and have them all controlled by the wireless controller. 

At what point do you think a dedicated WLC is a must?

Also we are looking at AIR-AP2802I-B-K9C & AIR-AP1815I-B-K9C could anyone comment why 1815 model is 1/3 cost of the 2802 model ?

Thanks 

"Also we are looking at AIR-AP2802I-B-K9C & AIR-AP1815I-B-K9C could anyone comment why 1815 model is 1/3 cost of the 2802 model ?"

2800/3800 series are top end enterprise grade AP from Cisco. It has clean air chips that can detect non-wifi interference and act on such event.

1800 series on the other hand not using same chipset, so it is bit cheaper, you will see some feature limitations as well (mainly around clean air)

Anyway in your case, it is not a very big deployment. If cost is a critical factor, then going with 1800 series make sense. If you expect high density WiFi (too many wireless devices) then 2800 makes more sense

HTH

Rasika

Sticking with 2802 then. Is AIR-AP2802I-A-K9C the correct part number for North America ?

For Canada, yes.

Does anyone know the meaning of the letter in the model of the AP? Country codes maybe?

AIR-AP00000-A-K9C

AIR-AP00000-B-K9C

AIR-AP00000-E-K9C

AIR-AP0000E-N-K9C

AIR-AP00000-Z-K9C

Yep country codes, which one are you in? You can look up your required domain here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/assets/prod/wireless/wireless-compliance-tool/index.html
-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

North America.

Looks like there is a promo on some of the APs, buy 2 get one free but the part numbers seem to have a typo what I think should be an I (for internal antenna) shows up as 1.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/nb-08-access-point-promo-flyer-cte-en.pdf?oid=pbnew008897

Promos are always good! You can also reach out to local partners to see if they can assist you with deals as well, sometimes they can provide discounts or better deals etc.

Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I agree with Rasika: Use Mobility Express.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card