cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Copying Mac filters from existing controller to new controller

Patrick McHenry
Level 3
Level 3

I know that I could upload my old controller config to the tftp server and then download it to the new controller Then make the neccessary address changes but, is there an easier way. I made a csv file entering the macs manually and was able to import it to the new controller on the network though the WCS but, I was wondering if  I could copy the macs off the old controller and paste them into the csv file somehow?

Thanks Pat

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Not neccesary.

When you create a config group, you can select the configuration of one WLC to use like a template for the rest of the WLC attached to this config group.

Then, you only select the right templates.

Steps:

1) create config group "configure-config group-add config group".

2) Name it and select the option "copy templates from a controller"

3) You will see the group and several tabs, in the "Controlllers" tab, attach the new controller to the group controller window".

4) In "templates" tab, in "group templates" window, leaves the templates you interest (likely the mac-filter templates you need) and removes (changes to the other windows) the rest.

4) Save and Apply.

Good luck and sorry for my english 

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

What version do you use???

With versión 6.0 and higher (and also I think in ver 5.2) you can edit you WLC configuration with an editor (like wordpad) and copy and paste the lines concerning the mac-filter list to the new WLC configuration.

Best Regards.

We are using 4.2.112

Then, forget all I wrote; The configuration file in this version is in XML format and is recommended you don´t edit it.

Best Regards.

So, do you think TFTP is my only option?

If you using the old WLC config, yes. Another posibility is using the WCS.

You can make a config group using the configuration of one WLC.

You can create this group, use the configuration of the old controller (import its configuration like templates) and then, aggregate the new controller to the config group; the template, if you selected before the mac-filter templates that the WCS may be imported for the old WLC, will add all the templates and you have an identical copy of your old WLC.

Best regards.

I don't exactly follow you. Are you saying I could import only the Mac-Filtering to WCS and then apply it to the new controller or do I have import and apply the whole config which puts me back to using the TFTP server?

Thanks for you help!

Not neccesary.

When you create a config group, you can select the configuration of one WLC to use like a template for the rest of the WLC attached to this config group.

Then, you only select the right templates.

Steps:

1) create config group "configure-config group-add config group".

2) Name it and select the option "copy templates from a controller"

3) You will see the group and several tabs, in the "Controlllers" tab, attach the new controller to the group controller window".

4) In "templates" tab, in "group templates" window, leaves the templates you interest (likely the mac-filter templates you need) and removes (changes to the other windows) the rest.

4) Save and Apply.

Good luck and sorry for my english 

Thanks for all your help. I'll give it a shot later.

Thanks Raul. It worked. I had to do it twice though. The first time I neglected to save on each page of the Config Groups.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card