Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements
Views
Helpful
Replies
Enthusiast

Currently available 802.11ax capable APs (9115, 9117 & 9120) not recommedned for large enterprises?

Hello Experts

Are the currently available 11ax series for wireless access points not recommended for large enterprises? If yes, what is the specific reason for same?

Amongst the available ones, which one is more recommended 11ax AP (9120)?

Compare 11ax APs.PNG

Everyone's tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Hall of Fame Community Legend

Re: Currently available 802.11ax capable APs (9115, 9117 & 9120) not recommedned for large enterprises?

In terms of throughput, how many wireless clients can really, really benefit from 802.11ax (very large batteries, multi-core CPU, 4 antennas, etc)?
Does the company actually have a big internet pipe?
Rising star

Re: Currently available 802.11ax capable APs (9115, 9117 & 9120) not recommedned for large enterprises?

- I don't see any blocking factor in acquiring them , perhaps more if you need to replace old access points. Besides Leo's argument it's more that it will still take a few years before smartphones, desktops, and other devices will have comparable radios(-hardware)+drivers to really use WiFi6.   For model comparisons go here :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en_be/products/wireless/access-points/index.html

M.

VIP Advocate

It really depends on your requirements. The 9120 is the most feature complete model, somewhat comparable to the 4800 series. Most 802.11ax features are not yet enabled though (see the release notes regarding unsupported features) and will require some software upgrades in the future.
I also read somewhere that the current 91xx series will not get 802.11ax certificated, although that is currently more of a paper issue than a real one.
So if you have the money, go for the 9120. If you prefer stability and a hopefully much better price, get the 2800 series.
VIP Mentor

Are the currently available 11ax series for wireless access points not recommended for large enterprises? If yes, what is the specific reason for same?

No. They all are good for enterprise deployments. Among 3 models, only 9117 will not get WiFi6 (WiFi Alliance) certification. 9120 got high end features and that's the one you should go for large enterprise deployment.

Amongst the available ones, which one is more recommended 11ax AP (9120)?

Yes 9120 is the most recommended model as of today.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Enthusiast

I've been testing the 9117 and 9120 models, I was able to get 2 gig connection using Intel's latest AX chip, yes the APs are capable of doing a lot more however clients don't support this yet.  The 9120 will be Cisco high end AP that has a special ASIC board installed to do all the fancy stuff.

In order to get the speeds AX states you can get you have to use 160MHZ channels, and most place this will be hard to achieve, due to channel noise.  I would suggest a site Survey to understand your environment.  you and still us the APs like you do any other AP you may not get the AX speeds

i

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
August's Community Spotlight Awards