Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUWN client communicate process

HI everyone,

I have some questions about CUWN.Could you please help me to explain how is it working?

1\ wireless client A and client B are in same SSID,client A ping client B,how is the communicate processing ?

2\wireless client A and client B are in different SSID, client A ping client B

3\wireless client A and wired client C are in same campus network,client A ping client C and client C ping client A, how is working?

I want to know the details of packets encapsaluted, for example:

firstly, client A check the ARP in its own arp cache,if there is no arp of client B,client A will sent a ARP request to a destination that is ff:ff....ff.

Then,AP received the arp request....

Or is there any documents for explain this process? In addition,whether the COS AP process is same with old APs (ap1600,ap1700,ap2700.etc..)?

Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rps-Cheers | If it solves your problem, please mark as answer. Thanks !
5 Replies 5

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
1: packet goes from Client A to AP to WLC to AP to Client B. If both clients are attached to the same AP, I think it doesn't go to the WLC.
2: packet goes from Client A to AP to WLC to AP to Client B
3: packet goes from Client A to AP to WLC to Switch to Client C (and the same return way)

APs only know about the clients connected to themselves, everything else goes through the WLC. I'm not sure if the AP or the WLC would respond to the ARP if both clients are attached to the same AP though.

This is assuming you are using the AP in local mode and not Flex Connect.

HI,paoberli

Thanks for your response.
Whether there are more detailed request packets and encapsulated message steps ? I don't know the detail about clients communicate.

Thanks

Hello patoberli:

Thank you very much for your help, but this is not what I want to know. I want to know if there is communication between wireless clients, and how to send and encapsulate messages at each stage of the pass, and what messages are sent, who will reply to them, and so on.
Just like a wired client, if client A wants to communicate with client B, client A must send ARP to request the MAC address of client B. If it is a cross-network segment, the gateway agent usually responds MAC address to client A instead client B. What I want to know is this process.

Thank you again for your help.

Ok, in the case of Local mode, the WLC will do all of that. He will respond to the client ARP and unidad the reply to the asking client so on.
Other Layer 2 client to client communication depends on the Wlc configuration, but it will always go through the AP (and normally also through the WLC for policing), unless maybe you don't use any encryption (not sure what happens in an Open =no encryption network).

In the case of Flexconnect refer to the previous document.

Hope this helps. For the client it doesn't make a difference, Lan and Wlan are both Ethernet based technologies.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card