cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DAS pros and cons / cisco solution

mustafa.s.raza
Level 1
Level 1

The client currently has DAS solution integrates with cisco ap1200 which has been eos. As per my knowledge DAS mobile access 2000 doesn't support. 802.11n, is this correct?

We are planning to separate the dad environment with cisco. Basically positioning new 3600 n indoor AP to replace existing eos 1200. What are the pro and cons of separating two brands and solutions? Other cabling.

The client having coverage issue and adding an amplifier and cable loss may add more issues to existing environment.

Also, based on experience 80211n AP are required is higher density vs 1200.

What are your thoughts or best design option to separate das from WLAN environment?

Any quick help will be Hersey appreciated

Thanks

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

From my experience, your client either decides to move the 802.11 off the DAS or you will have to accommodate a design using the DAS. There are various DAS solutions but I don't think any I them support 802.11n, MIMO technology or even diversity. I have heard vendors say that they will, but have no clue if it's supported or not. Since you really can't have a mixed environment, you will need to verify if you have to perform a new install or work off their existing DAS.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I agree 100% with Scott. I also feel your pain, having to work with a DAS system. For the record, Cisco released a document some time ago that states they dont support their wireless on a DAS. You may already know this, but wanted to point it out if you did not..

http://www.my80211.com/cisco-medical-grade-network-mg/

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Yes Scott

Moving away from DAS.

Any good talking point to support cisco and separation from DAS will help

Thanks

Well... It's like opening the door for the first time and seeing the world! Haha

Now you can utilize 802.11N, support for CleanAir and the biggest thing..... DIVERSITY:) Most DAS systems you can't do location and now you can! I'm going through some projects where some Hospitals spent millions of dollars on their DAS and removing wireless from the DAS is like chopping a finger off. Now you can grow for density where in a DAS, you really are stuck unless you pay an arm and a leg to add another antenna and or cable run.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

mustafa.s.raza
Level 1
Level 1

Scott

Diversity you mean clientlink technology ?

Thanks Scott

Diversity in general allow the use of dual antennas and not a single antenna used in most DAS systems.  With diversity, the AP has better chance with multipath since the AP can choose which antenna is sees a better packet or signal from.  Its really antenna diversity to be exact:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_diversity

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: