Views
Helpful
Replies

DCA Channel Selection

stelker77
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning all,

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this post.

Our company is wanting to roll out some wireless changes on a site-by-site basis. We have created a new radio profile to go from global 40mhz-wide channels to radio profile-based 20mhz-wide channels, and assigned the profile to one site. The AP's have rebooted and we can confirm that they are running 20mhz-wide channels now. However, they seem averse to using the new channels that are available to them, and are sticking to what they had previously. E.g., with 42 AP's at the site, only a handful (7) are using something besides 36, 44, 52, 60, 149, 161 (which would be the "primary" channels of the two bonded 20mhz-wide channels that were in use before). We do have all the relevant channels allowed in global DCA (36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 149, 153, 157,161...not 165 for some reason, possibly b/c its not relevant to 40mhz deployment) and in the profile DCA.

So, for example, while 48 and 56 are in use at the site, channels 40, 60, 153, 157 are completely absent.

I am thinking what is happening is that the AP's kind of "anchored" to their previous channel, and without a certain threshold of RSSI from their neighbors on their same channel, they decide its not worth it to change to a new channel. My ideal channel reuse plan would not allow an AP on a particular channel to hear, at all, another AP on that same channel, but the DCA doesn't seem to see that as an issue since they are "just barely" audible. Is "DCA Channel Sensitivity" the option that would be relevant here? If so, I think that may only be a global setting. Would we set it to high? Again, my goal would be to make it so that no AP can hear another AP on its same channel, if possible.

Does anyone know a super secret ninja CLI command that would allow us to see the DCA metrics and data gathered by each AP on which its basing its decisions to choose a new channel?

Thanks for any advice or thoughts,

Cameron

1 Reply 1

Hi

If avoid AP on the same channel at all cost is what fit for you, then manually assign the channels. I´ve been seing RRM working on the past 10 years and this continue to be far from perfect. AP will not use the whole RF spectrum and they will reuse channel don´t matte what. 

Step 3. Disable DCA

• GUI: WIRELESS > band (802.11a or 802.11b) > RRM > DCA > set Channel Assignment Method to Off
    • CLI: config 802.11<a|b> channel global off

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card