Views
Helpful
Replies

Design Question...

cisco-guy13
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

Somebody knows how an ap works when it has the double(40 clients) of the users recomended(20 users with data traffic) ??

An elementary school is thinking to cover all the classrooms using wireless technology, they have 750 kids allocated in 32 rooms..

I think that the ideal would be one AP per classroom but I almost secure that they deny the pourpuse due to the budget...

thanks

4 Replies 4

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

It depends on waht AP we are using.. if we go for the 802.11N APs like 1140, 1250, 1260 and all then you can connect upto 34 clients without any compromise if not that is if we are going for Non 802.11N APs then not more than 20.

Lemme know if this answered ur question!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

The aps would be 1242...it sound crazy to have 750 users to the same time... some succesful case?...or recomendation.. or any feedback

Hi,

U can use more clients but the problem will be the BW may decrease and the speed..

Lemme know if htis answered ur question!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Cisco guy,

The bigger issue here is the wireless medium. 802.11 is a half duplex medium very much like a hub. So when you see an AP think of a HUB. Only one wireless client can talk on the medium at a time (on channel). So as you add more and more devices your medium becomes very busy.

Ive done a number of schools myself and I know your pain. What was successful for me was a design of properly low powered access points placed in the class rooms and not in the halls. When you power the AP at 25mW (smaller foot print) you lessen foot print from other devices getting on. Also I used 802.11a/n where I had LARGE rooms. Two access points were installed to off load the traffic. Of course not every room at 2 aps. Just the very large rooms where 50+ clients were scoped. Also look at bandselect and load balance on the controllers. This might help you as well.

I hope this helps ...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: