cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP delay issue on anchor WLC

justin.devos
Level 1
Level 1

Issue: Guest SSID clients are intermittently unable to authenticate due to delay between the client and the DHCP server (diagnosed by TAC through traceback logs messages received from WLC's and debug information presented to TAC) 

Design: Foreign and Anchor WLC design.Guest SSID is tunneled to the anchor controller. DHCP servers for the Guest SSID, are configured on a wireless guest interface on the Anchor controller. Corp SSID clients terminated on Foreign controller are unaffected. 

The unanswered question: is the issue with the WLC not being able to proxy DHCP request? Or with the DHCP not sending dhcp offers back? 

Anyone experienced a similar issue? 

2 Replies 2

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7

Would you be able to run Wireshark to see the requests coming through from the clients WLC? Alternatively maybe span the switchport going to the WLC and capture the packets there.. and run it on your client as well then match up the times to see requests going to/from the server.

I recall having a similar issue and had to make sure DHCP Proxy was enabled on the WLC.

What version of code/firmware are you running on your WLCs, are they identical?

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

Thanks let me try set that up.  DHCP proxy is enabled.

Previously I was running version 8.1.131.0 on the anchor and the foreign controller. Downgrading the code to cisco recommended 8.0.133.0 on the foreign controller made no difference. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: