cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

dhcpd.c:301 Received a packet without a requested ip!. (%DHCP-4-REQIP_NOT_PRESENT)

Steve Prescott
Level 1
Level 1

For the last four days, I have started seeing literally hundreds of these mesages being reported in LMS from a 5508 WLC (see attached).  There are nearly 1,000 in a 24hour window.

Prior to that everything was fine.

There are only two SSID's, a Guest which has a DHCP scope on the WLC, and an internal private SSID for which clients get an address from a DHCP server on the LAN.

Everything I can find on the web related to this just says the recommended action is 'No Action Required'.

Something is obviously causing this and it only started 4 days ago. Has anyone ever seen this and know the possible causes/solutions?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

10 Replies 10

Is this happen for the Guest SSID users where DHCP defined on WLC ? What is the WLC software version you running ?

See wether this message is coming specific to few clients or all the clients of that SSID

You are right, regarding docs, it says no action required.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/message/guide/controller_smg/msgs4.html

If it is keep continuing & not other clues found, I would give a reboot WLC if that is not a big deal

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

The problem I have is that I am remote from the site, and all I see is hundreds of these messages coming from the WLC.  No problems have been reported from the site. I am unable to tell what SSID the messages relate to.

The uptime on the WLC is 423 days, so I will arrange a window to get it rebooted and see if that does anything.

I will also shut/no shut the ports the AP's are on so as to power cycle them.

Will report back once I have been able to do that.

how many clients are getting or trying to get dhcp ip from wlc's internal dhcp server.

use external dhcp server or reduce the log level.

i'd open TAC case to prune those cosmetic messages in future release, if they are annoying and or performance impacting. 

generally internal dhcp server on wlc is not very scalable and suggested only for remote branch with 5 to 10 APs.

Only the Guest SSID uses the internal DHCP server. The other SSID uses a DHCP server on the LAN.  On average there are 15-20 clients on the Guest WLAN.  The site only has three AP's.

I managed to reboot the WLC and all the AP's last night.  Unfortunately this has not resolved the problem.

Since you are running un-supported WLC software code, I would prefer If you could move onto 7.4.121.0 software code as next step. If the issue you are facing is code specific, then that should help.

If you are going ahead in this way, pls upgrade FUS to 1.9.0.0 as well. Keep in mind this will take 30-40min outage to your wireless & get sufficient outage window organized if you are going ahead with upgrade path.

Also you can get TAC support with this code as it is one of three supported codes by Cisco at the moment.(7.0.250.0 & 7.6.110.0 are the other two)

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Thanks Rasika.

I will see if I can get that organised.

Ali Aqrabawi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

can you confirm the WLC SW version ? and if reseting the AP radio solve the issue for a while (like two hours) .

Sorry, software version 7.2.111.3

Abha Jha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
&& %DHCP-4-REQIP_NOT_PRESENT: dhcpd.c:301 Received a packet without a requested ip!.

This is there is a DHCP request, and WLC did not obtain a valid IP address on the DHCP
fields.
Typically, client did request for 0.0.0.0.

could you please try pushing the wlan template again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: