cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

distance between Antenna

Steve Chapman
Level 1
Level 1

I am installing a Cisco 1572e ap with 4  AIR-ANT2568VG-N.  The customer wants the ap to be concealed so I plan on putting the ap above the ceiling and running the antennas below.  My question is what the best or recommend distance between the antennas.  I looking at installing all 4 in a metal access panel door in a square pattern.  

Thanks 

Steve Chapman

3 Replies 3

AlekseyAndrosov
Level 1
Level 1

Not an expert on the subject, but I remember reading somewhere that Antennas must be an integer number of wavelengths apart from each other.

Wavelenght is 12,5 cm for 2,4 GHz, and 6 cm for 5 GHz

So, 802.11b/g/n antennas may be 12,5 or 25 cm apart (or more, but the number must be x12,5)

802.11a/n antennas may be 6 or 12 or 18 or 24 cm apart (or more, but again, must divide by 6 clean)

It shouldn't matter how far are 2,4GHz antennas from 5GHz antennas, so yes, you can place them on a square something. I wouldn't put them too close together though, as there might be some electricity/magnetism/etc crosstalk.

Hope this helps.

great info, but how do i space them being it a dual antenna 2.4 and 5 in one?  

And your AP has dual-band radios... you're right.

There's something I overlooked, you have an outdoor AP. The recommended distances above are for mitigating Multipath effects. basically irrelevant in outdoor environments. Maybe you could dismiss these recommendations altogether and place your antennas as you wish.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: