cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dlink Switch with Cisco Aironet AP

sharono470
Level 1
Level 1

We have a DLink DES-3200-52P switch and a recently purchased Cisco Aironet 2802e (using Mobility Express as the controller) which we are trying to connect to the switch using PoE+. The switch fully supports up to 35W 802.3at PoE+. I am using a CAT5 cable from the AP to the switch. When powering on, the AP doesn't get enough power from the switch, but powers on with the radios disabled and the status LED cycling. The console connection for the controller/AP is fully functioning. On the ME GUI, it reports the AP as 15.4W Medium Power. I turned on LLDP on the switch but I am not sure if it is properly configured, or maybe the AP or controller aren't properly configured, or both. Here are some tidbits:

Dec 20 13:01:30 brain: CDP PoE negotiation START
Dec 20 13:02:30 brain: CDP PoE negotiation FAILED !!
Dec 20 13:02:30 brain: LLDP PoE negotiation START
Dec 20 13:03:02 brain: LLDP PoE negotiation FAILED !!
Dec 20 13:03:02 brain: Power mode: Degraded/Reduced Power, power_detection: DC_a dapter(FALSE), 802.3AF_POE(TRUE)

DES-3200-52P:admin#show lldp ports 1
Command: show lldp ports 1

Port ID : 1

Admin Status : TX_and_RX Notification Status : Enabled Advertised TLVs Option : Port Description Enabled System Name Enabled System Description Enabled System Capabilities Enabled Enabled Management Address (None) Port VLAN ID Enabled Enabled Port_and_Protocol_VLAN_ID (None) Enabled VLAN Name (None) Enabled Protocol_Identity (None) MAC/PHY Configuration/Status Disabled Power Via MDI Disabled Link Aggregation Disabled Maximum Frame Size Disabled

DES-3200-52P:admin# DES-3200-52P:admin#show poe ports 1
Command: show poe ports 1

Port State Priority Power Limit(mW) Time Range Class Power(mW) Voltage(decivolt) Current(mA)

Status

1 Enabled High 35000(User-defined)
4 8900 536 168
ON : 802.3af-compliant PD was detected

config poe ports 1 state enable priority high power_limit user_define 35000 config poe ports 2-48 state enable priority low power_limit class_0

Any help is greatly appreciated!

3 Replies 3

krishnalam
Level 1
Level 1

There are min requirements that you need to check. . .

Please ensure you have a DHCP server thats accessible to this ME (Mobility Express). You can also use TFTPD software to have DHCP enabled on your PC.

Please check the power consumption of the switch-port where this ME is connected on the switch.

But by default the mobility controller will broadcast the default SSID " CiscoAirProvision Service Set Identifier"

You can also use this method to configure the ME.

See how you go if you can ping the ME then you are almost there, but please ensure you have the correct image as you need Mobility express image.

As a guide you can also follow this. . http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/mob_exp/83/user_guide/b_ME_User_Guide_83/b_ME_User_Guide_83_chapter_01000.html

DHCP is properly configured and fully accessible to the AP/ME. Power consumption is just fine on the switch port and there is more than enough available power on the switch (no other PoE devices connected). The correct and most up to date image of ME is already on the AP and it is pingable. The guide is no help at this point, as the problem I have described in the initial post is not detailed anywhere.

Sorry for the late reply.

please try with Cat 6 cable and please ensure that you are using a gigabit switch not fast Ethernet.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card