cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does 7921 support WPA2+AES+PKC?

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

Does Cisco IP Phone 7921G support WPA2+AES+PKC? I know it supports WPA2+AES, but documentation is not clear if it supports PKC.

Or do I _have to_ use WPA+TKIP+CCKM to support fast secure roaming in CUWN environment?

VoWLAN design guide 4.1 recommends using WPA+TKIP+CCKM. Is that because the phone doesn't support PKC? Is that going to change?

17 Replies 17

Hi Michael,

Opps. I just fell off my chair. I did not mean to disrespect any of the good work you have done. But my thoughts on this is that the phone and call quality is the most critical thing and the docs "I think" should make that a little clearer.

The statement above, and please take this as constructive, indicates the following :

Also, WPA introduces additional transient keys and can lengthen roaming time - this could say that WPA is worse than WPA2, which we know is not the case, one is just ieee ratified and one is not - A tad confusing.

TKIP encryption is recommended when using CCKM - there is no indication here that CCKM is not supported under WPA2 as you can use TKIP with WPA2 (Optional) in 802.11i.

CCKM does not support AES currently. - Please correct me if I am wrong here, but is it not WPA does not support AES and WPA2 does, and CCKM has not been ported to WPA2 as yet?

Im sorry if I have this wrong, but WPA/WPA2 is the framework. AES/TKIP the encryption, and PKC/CCKM the fast roam capabilities. So the way I look at it, is that PKC and CCKM are only parts of the framework, but the AES and TKIP covers the whole framework, so it would be correct to say WPA/WPA2 support for encrytion, and not PKC/CCKM support for encryption.

Please can you respond back to tell me I am wrong or have misunderstood.

Many thx fella,

Ken

792xG is not going to support PKC.

CCKM is the goal for WPA2(AES).

Currently the 792xG only supports WPA+TKIP+CCKM.

Well, it also supports 802.1x+WEP+CCKM, but that combo is not supported on the Cisco WLAN Controller.

CCKM is not supported with WPA+AES, WPA2+TKIP, WPA2+AES on the 792xG.

I am updating the guides now, so point taken and will try to clear that up.

Cheers!

Hi Michael, Thx mate, and hope you did not get too miffed at my comments. Without the guides, we would no nothing :) So top job mate!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card