Views
Helpful
Replies

Domain name on WLC

kuldeep.kaur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

If I want my access points to discover wlc using dns, do I need to define the domain name on the wlc (I cannot find the option to define this however i have already specified this in the dhcp server option 15

FYI in our environment we have shared lan with other companies which also has their wlc on the lan. We dont want our access points to join other WLC.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No need to define domain name on the WLC.

Whole purpose of discovery methods are to give WLC management IP for the AP to go and register. In that perspective, there is no involvement of WLC in this discovery phase.

If your DNS server resolve CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER.localdomain to WLC management IP that's it.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

No need to define domain name on the WLC.

Whole purpose of discovery methods are to give WLC management IP for the AP to go and register. In that perspective, there is no involvement of WLC in this discovery phase.

If your DNS server resolve CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER.localdomain to WLC management IP that's it.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

gohussai
Level 4
Level 4

Just to add as Rasika mentioned that discovering the WLC ip is all what you need and i think you don;t have to go into DNS stuff if you only need it for WLC name resolution, just you need option 43 if its L3 otherwise its straight forward on L2.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card