cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

editing "DCA channel list" for 5Ghz band

Andrey128
Level 1
Level 1

on wireless controller I found that there are only few radio channels are available for usage

5Ghz_channels.png

From my understanding, that may cause a problem for clients. Is there any command available to add channels to "DCA channel list" or this list is an attribute of the "Country" which is configured on the WLC?!

I've tried to disable 5GHz wifi and add manually channels, for ex. insert this "40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 149, 153, 157, 161" into that text field, however that filed seems inactive and not allowing to do such action.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks Ric,

yesterday I've made a test, added additional conutry into the wireless controller and amount of channels in "DCA channel list" increased (hence amount and channel numbers in "DCA channel list" is attribute of a country),

but access points, which are designed to work in Malaysia, will only work on these channels "149, 153, 157, 161, 165", this is as I understand, by design from the vendor.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7

HI Andrey,

What boxes are available for you below to tick? You should be able to tick the ones you want and, if you would like to support all channels (recommended), select the Extended UNII-2 box as well. If those boxes are not available, what country is the WLC configured for?

Screenshot_1.png

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

these only channels are available:

5Ghz_channels.png

and the system did not allow me to enable "Extended UNII-2 channels" after I disabled 5GHz

This is fo Malaysia country, I cannot believe that government alow to use only 5 channels, may it be not good coding from the vendor?!

That does seem pretty odd as it is restricted to UNII-3 only. What country codes are supported, is it only Malaysia or does your WLC have multiple countries? Can you do the following on CLI:

show country

show sysinfo

Thanks,

Ric

Thanks Ric,

yesterday I've made a test, added additional conutry into the wireless controller and amount of channels in "DCA channel list" increased (hence amount and channel numbers in "DCA channel list" is attribute of a country),

but access points, which are designed to work in Malaysia, will only work on these channels "149, 153, 157, 161, 165", this is as I understand, by design from the vendor.

Thanks for the info! That seems unusual as I was looking through some Malaysia documentation and it mentioned support for the other bands so not sure why there would be a restriction to UNII-3 only on those APs.

If you do enable support for multiple countries then the WLC will default settings to the most restrictive country though this may not apply to channels on different country APs.

Cheers,

Ric

Take a look here: https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/assets/prod/wireless/wireless-compliance-tool/index.html
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

We ran into this issue at one of our Malaysia sites and the AP’s were a -C and should of been a -K. -C only allows those uni3 channels but -K allows more.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

yep, I have only AIR-CAP2702E-C-K9 access points deployed

data from https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/assets/prod/wireless/wireless-compliance-tool/index.html is confusing, because on the wireless controller it is shown that it is expecting (Indoor: -C, Outdoor: -C) for 5GHz and (Indoor: -ACE, Outdoor: -AEC) for 2.4 Ghz:country.png

with this I guess access point with -K regulatory domain will disable its 5 and 2.4 Ghz channels

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card