Views
Helpful
Replies

Enabling BLE radio on a Cisco 4800 AP

Muhammed Adnan
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I could not find single consolidated document for Enabling the BLE radio on a 4800 AP.

Appreciate if I could please get the responses to below queries:

1. BLE Manager account not a necessity for enabling the BLE radio on a 4800 AP and can be enabled directly through CMX and WLC?
  2. How do we enable the BLE radio on a 4800 Access Point? (The configuration on WLC & CMX)
  3. How do we configure the BLE beacon profile and from where the “BLE Beacon Profile” needs to be configured (CMX / WLC)?
8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Contact your Cisco AM/SE.
To enable BLE, you'll need access to DNA Spaces or Web CMX.

Thanks Leo for your response.

However based off the Cisco WLC 8.8 config guide, DNA Spaces BLE manager account is a requirement only to manage BLE USB dongle.

Could not find in any documentation that the BLE manager account is required even for the BLE radios integrated into APs like 4800 APs.

Do we require BLE manager account even for enabling and configure the BLE profiles for 4800 APs?

Cisco USB BLE beacon.PNG

Muhammed, contact your Cisco AM/SE.
To enable BLE, you'll need access to DNA Spaces or Web CMX.
That is all I am going to say.

maarten.cuff
Level 1
Level 1

Any updates to this now it's 2021?

Hello Maarten,

The enabling of BLE radio on Cisco APs with BLE radio could not be facilitated through native configuration on the APs / WLCs / CMX.

Enabling the BLE radio can only be facilitated by cloud based solution, DNA Spaces (Initially was facilitated by BLE Manager account, but that option is now obsolete).

Cisco DNA Spaces - BLE Management will allow you to define the AP beacon in beacon protocol you wish and accordingly push the template to the list of APs you choose.

BLE Beacon.png

Regards

Adnan

You also need to say that ONLY 9800 WLC is supported.  3504/5520/8540 controllers are not supported.

Based in the DNAS datasheet Aironet is supported, can you share mode details?
"Use Cisco DNA Spaces Connector to connect to Cisco Aironet WLC 8.0 and Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series WLC 16.12.1 and above"

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/dna-spaces/datasheet-c78-741786.html

We were told by our SE that BLE is disabled on AireOS, regardless the controller firmware. 
BLE is enabled on IOS-XE platform.  

I believe the Data Sheet is not totally accurate.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: