cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EWC on Catalyst access point and SDA (fabric mode)

Martin2m2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

The datasheet mentions that the Embedded Wireless Controller (EWC) on a Catalyst Access Points ONLY supports FlexConnect.  This there really NO support for Fabric mode (SDA)? Is this feature to be expected in the future?

I understand that the workaround could be to use a C9300 with EWC for that location, but …. the customer is investing in C9400 and that has no EWC support at all at this time.

Regards,

Martin

- I say what I mean and I do what I say -
7 Replies 7

Hi Martin,

I think you have posted a related thread another place, I have responded to it (see below)

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless-and-mobility/embedded-wireless-controller-ewc-on-c9400/m-p/4087833 

There is bit confusion on EWC which is the name used for an embedded wireless controller on a catalyst AP (9100 series). It is suitable for a small branch that you do not want to invest in a dedicated WLC (9800 series). So this will is not part of fabric enable wireless (SDA-Wireless)

However 9300/9400/9500, you can use fabric edge and if you use fabric enable wireless (SDA-Wireless), you should be able to use embedded WLC (or eWLC) to terminate those AP without having a centralized 9800 or 8540/5520.

This compatibility matrix listed those under SDA Wireless section

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/enterprise-networks/software-defined-access/compatibility-matrix.html 

If you have any documentation says it is not supported, pls share

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Thank you again Rasika.

The challenge as an be read in the other post is, what to do before the SDA implementation and after it. The road to SDA will probably be a 2 year path. Before could be the EWC on the AP, but that means you have to switch controller with the SDA implementation. Using FlexConnect from the HQ C9800-L could be the solution, but if the latency exceeds the 20ms between the Controle Node and the HQ controller, they have to switch controller with the SDA implementation.

"Using FlexConnect from the HQ C9800-L could be the solution"

I would say, that is the best solution to move forward. Even if you deploy SDA, you can leave wireless as it is (ie traditions wireless and not use SDA-Wireless) even if you go on that path.

Large MTU (1560+) support across WAN links becomes a pre-requisite for SDA fabric, more than the 20ms latency requirement.

HTH

Rasika

I am gonna go for plan B:

1. Before SDA use the EWC on the AP's

2. After SDA use the eWLC on the C9400's

The reason why is, that even if the latency is <20ms, then:

If I use the central C9800-L as WLC for all the sites, it was to become ONE SDA-fabric across the five sites (HQ and 4 remote sites). But I want separate SDA fabrics per site to differentiate fault domains. It makes the migration also a whole lot easier than when it is all one fabric.

Hi Martin,

What I suggested was to use 9800 in non-fabric enabled controller. In that case, wireless should work like a traditional setup (that is AP operate in CAPWAP mode and not fabric enabled mode).

Anyway, if EWC fit for purpose, no problem of going with that solution. Here is a good reference blog post on EWC deployment

https://www.wifireference.com/2019/12/07/cisco-embedded-wireless-controller-on-catalyst-access-points/ 

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

It looks like FlexConnect mode is not officially supported with Fabric. Below slides take from given Ciscolive presentation that you should watch.

https://www.ciscolive.com/global/on-demand-library.html?#/session/15663052386630012B4q 

SDA-FlexConnect.PNG

Local mode centralized is supported

SDA-Local.PNGHTH

Rasika

Slide 1 is interesting. It is what I was discussion with a colleague that 3-party wireless on SDA should be possible.

The OTT options both have the same problem as I described for SDA:

• If I use the central C9800-L as WLC for all the sites, it was to become ONE SDA-fabric across the five sites (HQ and 4 remote sites). But I want separate SDA fabrics per site to differentiate fault domains. It makes the migration also a whole lot easier than when it is all one fabric.

So you could only use the central C9800 for the remote sites BEFORE SDA. But with CUWN OTT there is no local breakout possible on the remote sites. And FlexConnect OTT as you descibed is officially not supported.

I will stick with plan B.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card