cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Failed to add device to WCS Reason: Unified AP with same MacAddress already exists in WCS. Please remove Unified AP first.

Ryan Ketchum
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to add an AP (1231G)  with autonomous code (Version 12.3(8)JEC2)  to WCS (v7.0.172.0).  I recieved the following error:

Failed to add device to WCS Reason: Unified AP with same MacAddress already exists in WCS. Please remove Unified AP first.

I went to configure --> access points --> "placed check marks next to existing AP" --> selected Remove AP command --> Go

I verfied the AP was removed.

I am still getting the same error.

I did a search of WCS by MAC and IP and it did not find any results.

Is there another place that I need to look?

What am I missing?

Thank you for your help.

Ryan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

maldehne
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

search for unassociated APs from WCS and remove the resulting list of APs.

Then try

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sounds like there may be a stale entry in the DB. I'd open a TAC case and have them walk the DB and remove the entry if it exists

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thank you.  This seems like a reasonable cause to my problem.  I will see what TAC has to say.

Ryan

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I haven't seen this error message since the 6.X WCS codes.

Can I ask if you can upgrade the WCS to 7.0.2XX.0 code?

Thank you for your reply and input.  I am currently using WCS version 7.0.172.0

Are you saying that Version 7.0.2xx.0 would resolve this issue?

Ryan

maldehne
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

search for unassociated APs from WCS and remove the resulting list of APs.

Then try

As far as I can tell there is no way to search by an unassociated APs "as a category".  There was a choice in "Advanced Search" to choose to search by access point.

Do you mind providing me some instruction on how to search by unassociated APs.  I would be interested to see if this AP is maybe "hidden" from view and if a search by unassoicated APs would reveal it.

Thank you for your help.

Ryan

Are you saying that Version 7.0.2xx.0 would resolve this issue?

I mean the WCS 7.0.230.0 has fixed a few bugs.  So I wouldn't be asking you to load the older firmware. 

Advanced Search

Search Category --> Access Points

Search by ---> Unassigned APs

See if you have any result

I was blind as a bat!  Thank you for the that. (I actually found it in the "unassociated" list, but you led me in the right direction)

It also resolved my issue.  Even though I deleted the AP from the configure AP screen they still showed up when I searched "unassociated APs" in the advanced search.

I am now able to re-add it.

@ Steve - Maybe this was the DB orphan you were refereing too?

Thank you

Ryan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card