Views
Helpful
Replies

failed to roam to antoher AP in different controller

sqrobin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone...

I'm having issue with roaming problem...

when client roams to another AP which reside to another controller the connectivity is dropped... the connection status is still there but I can't longer ping to the outside...

I noticed that the roaming already success by looking the client list on another WLC which the AP reside but the Auth status is NO...

I assume this is the cause that the connection is dropped..

I already setup the mobility domain group, RF group in one name (case sensitive right?) and register every WLC mac addr and ip add on the mobility group. I check the status controller --> mobility group, all registered wlc in the same local mobility group already UP...

I setup my WLAN with WPA2 + AES with DHCP Addr Assignment Required checked on the advanced setting on the SSID...

I also have Client Band Select enabled.

WLC1 and WLC2 in on the same subnet and there is no firewall between WLC (I'm using WiSM actually) and between AP

I'm wondering.. anyone have experienced this problem??

I really appreciate anyone who can help

24 Replies 24

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

So you have this issue no matter if its from wlc1 to wlc2 and vice versa? Just to rule out interface or vlan settings.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

yes correct...

each WLC have the same software version 7.0.98.0 and AP reside on WLC1 is AIR-LAP1252 and the other one is AIR-CAP 3502E

VLAN is already setup on each WLAN also

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You should also just try to setup the basic for now. Remove band select and remove dhcp required until you get things working then add one thing at a time and test. If you create an open SSID just for testing, does it work?

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Oke... I will test it...

As long as we know that devices can associate to AP's on either wlc fine and roam within the same WLC that would be a good starting point.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Scott,

I tested it...

start from open SSID, WPA2+AES... and it stuck when DHCP Addr Assignment enabled on WLAN profile -> advanced setting....

if I enable client load balance or Client Band Select on at a time it will add more delay to move to another AP in same WLC or not same WLC (2-4 RTO)

so if i enable both client load balance and client band select it will take more time to roam (3 - 5 RTO)

what happen with DHCP Addr Assignement.... it hog the roaming process

Well how did it work with open authentication an not enabling dhcp required, client load balancing and band select.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

no roaming problem with Open SSID, no client load balance, no DHCP Addr Assign... and no band select...

is this a bug from the controller software??

Ah... So now what you should do is setup a new SSID using wpa/tip and see if that works.

I don't know if there is any bug

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Just keep in mind that client load balancing has issues with various laptop manufactures like Apple. Band select doesn't guarantee devices to choose the 5ghz also. These features you need to test and make sure they work well in your environment.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

I already tested with:

WPA2+AES, Client Load Balance --> roaming success

WPA2+AES, band select --> roaming sucess

WPA2+AES, Client Load Balance, band select --> roaming success

WPA2+AES, Client Load Balance, band select, DHCP Addr Assign --> roaming to different WLC failed

WPA2+AES, DHCP Addr Assign --> roaming to different WLC failed

I also tested same scenario above with WPA2+802.1X and the result failed roaming to another AP in different controller with DHCP Addr Assign feature enabled...

so what i need to do right now is to disable DHCP Addr Assign feature after office hour....

thanks to remind me about the client load balance and band select feature...

do you think upgrading the WLC software version to the latest will help??

Do you have dhcp required on wlc1 and wlc3 when you were testing? I don't know if upgrading will help.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

yes of course... I always set the same thing to other WLC...  DHCP Addr Assignment Required thicked...

so whenever this feature enabled on WLAN... Roaming to different controller fails....

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card