Helpful
Replies

Failover issue

aselimdpinar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have a setup like this:

A central WLC 5508 running code 7.2 with management vlan 10 ( range 10.10.10.0/24), corp-user vlan 100 (10.11.10.0/24) with WPA2 key, guest vlan 200 (192.168.0.0/24,  on local dsl modem) with WPA2 key...

A remote WLC 5508 with code 7.2 with managment vlan 10 (range 10.20.10.0/24), corp-user vlan 101 (10.21.10.0/24) with WPA2 key and guest vlan 201 ( 192.168.0.0/24,  on local dsl modem) with WPA2 key

corp ssid "Corp-user" on both sites

Guest ssid "Guest" on both sites

Intention is that the AP's (3500) on the remote site should failover to the central WLC in case of any failure on the remote WLC and that the users could remain in their local vlan.

What kind of configuration would make this work?

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You would need to configure the AP's in H-REAP mode.  In local mode, if the WLC fails, the users will be placed on the other subnet.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

The remote site AP's are all in Flexconnect mode. The thing is when they failover to the central WLC users get a dhcp address in the central management vlan and not the remote user vlan...

Well the SSID should be set the local switching on all WLC's. It looks like the central wlc doesn't have local switching enabled on the SSID.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Scott,

Thank you for your reply..

The sssid's on thee central WLC are configured witl local switching, the remote WLC not. If I configure the remote WLC also with local switching I can't get dhcp on any ssid on the remote WLC.

Well you need to go into each ap at the remote site and configure the h-reap setting. You will need to enable vlan support, set the native vlan and click vlan mappings and set you SSID to local vlan there. On an h-reap ap, there is an additional tab named h-reap. You will need to also trunk the ap ports to support multiple vlans.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Scott,

The remote site AP ports are trunked (in our case tagged on HP switches) and vlan support on the flexconnect (H-Reap) tab is enabled with native vlan (should it give a problem that the native vlan id's are the same on both sites?)  and the rest of the vlan mapping...

On the central WLC I created an ap goup for the remote site AP's but how should I map the ssid's on the central WLC to the remote vlan's?

Thanks again for your support,

When using h-reap you just define the remote vlans. So if the remotes side for internal is vlan 100, on the h-reap ap or the internal SSID you put vlan 100. The ap doesn't care what vlans reside on the wlc side at all.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Thank you Scott, will try that tomorrow...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card