Views
Helpful
Replies

Failover with PIX & ASA

sarifulcisco
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have a two units of PIX 515E in running my environment as a Active/Standby mode in redundant manner.

Now I have a purchase third one for Back up if one PIX will fallen or any kind of trouble that's why immediately we place that one.

Can you please sugget which ASA will I purchase, and that will ensure failover with another PIX with Active/ Standby mode.

Please see the attached existing configuration for your better convenience.

Please help me which model would like to purchase ?

Regards

Palash

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

You can't mix PIX and ASA in a failover-scenario. You even can't mix different ASA models. So your options are to get a used third PIX 515E which I would not reccomend as they are very old devices and won't be supported that long any more. Or better you go directly for a new ASA FO-system. The smallest ASA that supports full failover out of the box without additional licenses are the ASA 5515-X models. They would match even more then your requirements.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

View solution in original post

mmangat
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

The failover configuration requires two identical security appliances connected to each other through a dedicated failover link and, optionally, a       stateful failover link. PIX and ASA cannot be mixed in a failover-scenario

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

You can't mix PIX and ASA in a failover-scenario. You even can't mix different ASA models. So your options are to get a used third PIX 515E which I would not reccomend as they are very old devices and won't be supported that long any more. Or better you go directly for a new ASA FO-system. The smallest ASA that supports full failover out of the box without additional licenses are the ASA 5515-X models. They would match even more then your requirements.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

mmangat
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

The failover configuration requires two identical security appliances connected to each other through a dedicated failover link and, optionally, a       stateful failover link. PIX and ASA cannot be mixed in a failover-scenario

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: