Views
Helpful
Replies

Flexconnect and Bridge Mode on same AP with WLC

Patrick Werner
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I want to use Flexconnect togheter with Mesh AP's. But if i choose Bridge Mode the option Flexconnect dissapears after the AP have restartet.

I 'm using Flexconnect because we want to us the local breakout to the internet. We dont want to reroute the whole trafiic from the branch office to the WLC.

That should be possible ? Regards Patrick

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can only set the mesh ap in either FlexConnect or Bridge mode (RAP or MAP). So when you do set the mesh AP to Bridge, yes you will loose the FlexConnect setting. Bridge mode is when you want to do true mesh. What you need is to leave it as FlexConnect.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

Two different things... if you want to extend the wireless without any Ethernet cables, then you need to do mesh... this means you need to have a RAP and your MAP (no Ethernet required).  The MAP will associate to only a RAP and then you can extend the wireless.  YOu might want to look at WGB, but these are autonomous and you need to follow these examples:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_configuration_example09186a0080905cea.shtml

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Lin Guo
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco has added a new mode Flex+bridge mode. See  chart attached.

12 Replies 12

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can only set the mesh ap in either FlexConnect or Bridge mode (RAP or MAP). So when you do set the mesh AP to Bridge, yes you will loose the FlexConnect setting. Bridge mode is when you want to do true mesh. What you need is to leave it as FlexConnect.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

So, but if i need an AP to AP connection over the air, then i have to choose the Bridge Mode.

So bridge mode (RAP or MAP) is completely incompatible to Flex Connect Mode.

Right ?

Two different things... if you want to extend the wireless without any Ethernet cables, then you need to do mesh... this means you need to have a RAP and your MAP (no Ethernet required).  The MAP will associate to only a RAP and then you can extend the wireless.  YOu might want to look at WGB, but these are autonomous and you need to follow these examples:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_configuration_example09186a0080905cea.shtml

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Here is a doc for indoor mesh:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_white_paper09186a0080b1c101.shtml

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Thanks Scott, i hope Cisco will support in the future both modes togheter.

Yeah... I don't think that will happen... but we shall see.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Lin Guo
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco has added a new mode Flex+bridge mode. See  chart attached.

I'm using a WLC 5508 and would like to use the flex+bridge mode you're talking about, but I don't see it in the list of modes of the 3602E access point.

I've already upgraded the controller to 7.6.120.0

Are you sure this feature exists? Where did you get the info?

Lonemaker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have seen something in a screenshoot from the new Version 8.0, that there may be a FlexConnect-Bridge Mode.

CCNP R&S

Any idea when 8.0 will be released?

Hi,

Flex + Bridge feature is now available on 8.0.100.0 code. the code has already been made public on 17 Aug.

here is the link: (you need to use your CCO id to get access to the image)

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282600534&flowid=7012&softwareid=280926587&release=8.0.100.0&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=ED&reltype=latest

To use this feature you need to have both the RAP and MAP configured with Flex + bridge mode.

Hope This helps!

regards,

Ashutosh

NOTE: Please do not forget to rate the correct answers.

Hi Experts
If I wish to wire only 1 AP so that this is the consentor and another access point hangs from it, since for reasons of distance it does not reach a cabinet, I was seeing the design guides and I saw Flex + Mesh. it would be this mode of configuration that I should use

We are using AP 1562E + WLC version 8.5.131
I will appreciate your comments

Regards

Carlos P.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: