cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Flexconnect + AVC?

cnegrete
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, we're deploying a demo network for a customer and after a few hiccups it seems to be running properly. One of the problems was an oversubscription of customers on a single GE link to the controller, which I seem to have solved by adding a new link to the LAG.

The customer used to have an autonomous AP solution, which worked fine for their network (about 240 customers spread over 5 AP's), but it seems to be generating issues with Local AP's.

I'd like to convert the network to FlexConnect (APs are AIR-CAP2602E-N-K9), but I'm wondering if AVC will still work (we're using WLC 7.4). Anyone knows if this is supported?  It would be great if it will be, since the solution will be spread all over their sites and FlexConnect will be mandatory.

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

Yahya Jaber
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

if the SSID is central switching, yes, AVC works.

Yahya Jaber escribió:

Hi,

if the SSID is central switching, yes, AVC works.

I don't get it, Central Switching as in "Local" configuration for AP's?

I know that if I configure my AP's for Local mode the traffic goes through the WLC, but this it not what we want to do, we want to use FlexConnect even on the central site.

Will ACV work with this setup?

Hi,

yes, using central switching is like local AP mode, and the AVC works there becuase the controller knows what type of data the users are using.

if you checked the local switching under the SSID, then the AP will handle the traffic on its own, without sending the packets to the WLC, hence the WLC does not know what the users are using.

in your case, it seems that you want to use local switching on the AP's, and the AVC will not work.

The weird thing is:

• Virtual WLC only supports APs in FlexConnect  mode ( no Local mode APs);
  • FlexConnect APs can do Central or Local switching;
    • Virtual WLC does not support Application Visibility & Control at all :(

Yajaber, maybe vWLC will support on AVC in the future?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card