cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FRA Flexible Radio Assignment - will not run

steiostb1
Level 1
Level 1

FRA will not run to calculate COF. DCA interval is set to 10 minuttes interval. Running two 2802 APs on a 8540 WLC with software 8.2.170.0.

After several days, FRA have still not started:

(Cisco Controller) >show advanced fra

FRA State........................................ Enabled
FRA Sensitivity.................................. medium (95)
FAR Interval..................................... 1 Hour(s)

AP Name MAC Address Slot Current Band COF % Suggested Mode
-------------------------------- ----------------- ---- -------------- -------------------- -------------------------
AP0000.0000.0000 40:ce:24:92:44:00 0 2.4GHz None None
AP08EC.F580.2E08 08:ec:f5:96:06:c0 0 2.4GHz None None

Any tips?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7
Hey very lazy response but can you upgrade to a recommended code like 8.5.140.0 and we can tshoot from there? :-)
-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
I don't anymore fully remember FRA when it was introduced. But I think you needed 8.3 or newer for automatic functionality. So I also recommend you upgrade to 8.5.140.0 (unless you have APs that aren't anymore supported by >8.2 releases). There FRA works nicely.

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As mentioned upgrading if possible could help.

How close are the APs?

Going off this statement in the RRM White paper:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-3/b_RRM_White_Paper/b_RRM_White_Paper_chapter_01000.html

FRA evaluates 2.4 GHz coverage only and determines if there is overlapping coverage creating interference

Cisco's FRA does 3 things:

• Calculates and maintains a measurement of redundancy for 2.4 GHz radios and represents this as a new measurement metric called COF (Coverage Overlap Factor)
  • Manages radio “role” assignment or re- assignment for interfaces that are marked as redundant interfaces

• For Macro/Micro implementations (2800/3800 I models) FRA Manages Client load balancing across dual 5 GHz interfaces (Macro/Micro Transition)

I would guess FRA only comes into play more when you have 3 or more APs, also based on all the examples in the whitepaper are using 3 or more APs

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you all for responding.

I have connected a total of 3 APs and still FRA is still not running. The APs are placed phyically on top on each other to provoke a high COF number.

We are currently using 8.2.170 on our production WLC, because of old APs.

According to this documentation, FRA is implemented from 8.2MR1: 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-3/b_RRM_White_Paper/b_RRM_White_Paper_chapter_01000.html

I think you need 4 APs, all on the same 2.4 GHz channel. You also need to have DCA enabled with at least U-NII-2 band channels, because FRA will put the second radio only on 5 GHz if there are 100 MHz space between the two radios.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card