Views
Helpful
Replies

Getting hostnames in addition to usernames from WLC CLI

trondaker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Because of the way we have our PKI set up, the username of all our mobility clients show a common "username" from the certificate. If I search for the MAC-address on the WLC I can see both a username and a hostname. In this hostname field we have the actual machinename that I can map to actual user in Intune. Is it any way to extract this through the show client-command in the CLI? We extract ap/client-information and present it in a separate frontend for tech-support workers, and this hostname field would help a lot

6 Replies 6

trondaker
Level 1
Level 1

WLC 8540 running 8.3.143 btw.

Upgrade to 8.5.140.0 and see if it makes any difference.
Make sure to read the Release Notes because it will provide detailed information about what models of APs are supported.

Cant find anything related to that in the release notes, and its a big deployment that have had some instability with 8.5.x before so reluctant to upgrade if its not guaranteed to be in there:O

On 8.5.140.0 there is a hostname field in the "show client detail mac-address" output, not sure if it already has existed in 8.3.x.
To have it filled out, you might need to enable the profiling options on the SSID.

I see, was hoping that it would be a new field to the "show client summary" as a manual retrieval of 25000 show client detail is a problematic task :) Might not be possible then, but thanks for the feedback!

I don't know of a way.
It sadly also isn't possible on 8.8.120.0:
show client summary ?
<ssid / ip / username / devicetype / security / ipsk-tag> Displays active clients selective details on anyone (OR) all of parameters <ssid, ip, username, devicetype, ipsk-tag> requested in any order.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card