Views
Helpful
Replies

Guest wireless - dhcp lease is 85% full

mchockalingam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have guest wireless implemented using mobility anchor controllers in the DMZ. I have DHCP lease time set to 16 hours for the guest users. I only see about 400 to 500 guest users associated on any given day but the DHCP server which has about 2000 addresses shows 80 to 85% lease full.

I know some clients are not authenticated but are associated and they probably exhaust an IP address but I do not see more than 500 associated. Why am I seeing so many IP addresses being used?

Meena

7 Replies 7

locp
Level 1
Level 1

With all the Ipad, Iphone and smartphones, I tune our lease to 4 hrs, assuming devices are leaving for lunch ...

YMMV, so try it out .

Loc

At 50% of the lease expiration time, client will try to renew the IP again which is 2 hours in your case. Is it generating a lot of DHCP traffic?

Meena

not really... not all the clients are connect for more than 2 hours... and iether if it is true not all client connect at the same time...

Hi Meena,

(Is this Meena from TX)?

We have a large wireless guest deployment in the Med center. We experimented with different leases options. What worked for us was creating a large B size subnet with lease times at 2 hours. We show about 1000-1300 wireless clients at any point in time. HOWEVER, after doing a PING scan we normally show 200 or so actual guest on the network.

I hope this helps..

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi George,

Yes. It is me.

Thanks for your resposne. I wonder why we did not have this problem when we had the older BBSM in place. I never had any DHCP lease exhaustion issues. I never saw the DHCP server filled with lease/renew requests that I see with this new guest wireless. The DHCP server logs only go back up to 3 days beacuse of this. It used to have logs for months prior to this. Any ideas?

Meena

nonwdays, there are alot of devices that uses WiFi... starting from Laptops. PDAs. ipods, iphone, smartphones, players, spiders... COWs... LOL etc...

hummm how was your BBSM configured? Drop me a call on Monday. Lets discuss ...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card