Views
Helpful
Replies

High availability (HA) in WLC 7.3

nouman_nabi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Is there any workaround to enable internal DHCP on WLC when AP SSO (HA) is enabled ?

Regards,

Nomi

HA Facts

• HA Pairing is possible only between the same type of hardware and software versions. Mismatch may result in Maintenance Mode. The Virtual IP Address should be the same on both the WLCs before configuring AP SSO.
  • Direct connectivity is recommended between the Active and Standby Redundant Port for 5500/7500/8500 Series of WLCs.
  • WiSM-2 WLCs should be in same 6500 chassis or can be installed in VSS setup for reliable performance.
  • A physical connection between Redundant Port and Infrastructure Network should be done prior to HA configuration.
  • The Primary unit’s MAC should be used as Mobility MAC in the HA setup in order to form a mobility peer with another HA setup or independent controller. You also have the flexibility to configure a custom MAC address, which can be used as a Mobility MAC address using the configure redundancy mobilitymac <custom mac address> command. Once configured, you should use this MAC address to form a mobility peer instead of using the system MAC address. Once HA is configured, this MAC cannot be changed.
  • It is recommended that you use DHCP address assignment for the service port in the HA setup. After HA is enabled, if the static IP is configured for service port, WLC loses the service port IP and it has to be configured again.
  • When AP SSO is enabled, there is no SNMP/GUI access on the service port for both the WLCs in the HA setup.
  • Configurations like changing virtual IP address, enabling secureweb mode, configuring web auth proxy, and so forth need a WLC reboot in order to get implemented. In this case, a reboot of the Active WLC will also trigger a simultaneous reboot of the Standby WLC.
  • When AP SSO is disabled on the Active WLC, it will be pushed to the Standby WLC. After reboot, all the ports will come up on the Active WLC and will be disabled on the Standby WLC.
  • Keep alive and Peer Discovery timers should be left with default timer values for better performance.
  • Clear configuration on the Active WLC will also initiate clear configuration on the Standby WLC.
  • Internal DHCP is not supported when AP SSO is enabled.
  • SSO for LSC AP is not supported. L2 MGID is synched, but the L3 MGID database is cleared with SSO.
8 Replies 8

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I checked the 7.5 beta notes and I don't see this listed as a limitation. Perhaps one of the Cisco guys can comment.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Is there anyone from Cisco who can confirm us ?

Regards,

Nomi

Till release 7.4 Internal DHCP is not supported when AP SSO is enabled. This feature is in roadmap with 7.5 releases.

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

Till release 7.4 Internal DHCP is not supported when AP SSO is enabled. This feature is in roadmap with 7.5 releases.

Saurav Lodh
Level 7
Level 7

For your info, internal dhcp with AP-SSO is not available on 7.4 and current release 7.5, we can expect it in future releases.

Hi,

I need to install a HA controller (5508), however I have internal DCHP on my guest network, so I postpone my install because 7.4 do not support it.

I read 7.5.102.0 release notes and it seems to support internal DHCP on 5500 series (except 7500 Flex).

Does anyone test it ? Is it my only choise ?

Thanks

I just added a HA 5508 using version 7.5.102.0 and internal DHCP is still not working. When enabling SSO, I was prompted to disable the internal DHCP scope. After the 5508s rebooted in HA mode, I tried to enable the scope again but couldn't, a message pops up saying the there was a problem setting the lease duration (which hasn't been change, set to 3600s).

So in my experience, internal DHCP scope is still not supported on 7.5.102.0.

I upgraded my WLC to version 7.5.102.0 a couples days ago and Internal DHCP still working on standalone. So I´m planning to apply HA configuration on January. But your reply is not good and probably I will need to test it before put in production.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card