cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Assign Name to Associated AP Clients?

tresdodi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I see that the output for #show dot11 associations has a Name column. I wonder if it is possible to assign a an arbitrary name to the associated clients in order to distinguish them better.

I bought an AIR-CAP3602I-A-K9 AP recently to dive into the APs world. Yesterday I turned it into autonomous and now I'm setting it up.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Freerk Terpstra
Level 7
Level 7

The field you are referring to is automatically completed with the help of the Cisco Aironet extensions, which requires the client to be CCX compatible. Below the output of a 7925 phone connected to a autonomous access-point.

MAC Address    IP address      IPV6 address                           Device        Name            Parent         State
30f7.0d4d.9aa5 192.168.101.237 ::                                     CP-7925       SEP30F70D4D9AA5 self           EAP-Assoc

It does not mater if the SSID is using RADIUS for authentication or not in this case (with a WLC this RADIUS information is actually being used to completed the "user name" field).

Please rate useful posts... :-)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

tresdodi
Level 1
Level 1

Also, does this AP support PoE in standalone mode?

Yes, it does. I just tested it.

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

3600 series supports : 802.11n: 802.3af, AC adapter 802.11ac*: Enhanced PoE, 802.3at or Universal PoE (UPOE)

Freerk Terpstra
Level 7
Level 7

The field you are referring to is automatically completed with the help of the Cisco Aironet extensions, which requires the client to be CCX compatible. Below the output of a 7925 phone connected to a autonomous access-point.

MAC Address    IP address      IPV6 address                           Device        Name            Parent         State
30f7.0d4d.9aa5 192.168.101.237 ::                                     CP-7925       SEP30F70D4D9AA5 self           EAP-Assoc

It does not mater if the SSID is using RADIUS for authentication or not in this case (with a WLC this RADIUS information is actually being used to completed the "user name" field).

Please rate useful posts... :-)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card