Views
Helpful
Replies

How to diagnose low throughput on Aironet 1140

msauvola
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If I do a speed test (bandwidthplace.com) while connected to a remote locations 1140 standalone access point, the download/upload speeds are roughly 100kbps.

There are no other devices connected to the access point at the time.

Wired PCs on the LAN that the access point is connected to are not having a problem.

Pings from the laptop, through the access point, to our central WAN router are at <10ms.

The WAN circuit (remote location to headquarters) is 5Mbps. No congestion.

Circuit out from headquarters to I'net is 50Mbps. No congestion.

Access point and router interfaces show no errors or collisions, etc..

The configuration is the same as 28 other standalone access points in 28 different LANs on the WAN. They have no problems.

What could it be?

Mike

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Take a look at the switchport and see if there are any errors.  Make sure the AP and switch is negotiating at 1000mbps.  Have you tried to replace the patch cables and or AP?

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Also test with different devices if possible.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott,

I have tried new patch cables.

Swapping out the AP was my next move. I have a spare 1140 here at headquarters that I will take to the remote location on Thursday. I will report the results then.

Thanks,

Mike

Swapped out the AP. No change.

So it's somewhere farther down the line.

But I have another question.

In the APs web management interface, if I go to ASSOCIATION in the menu, I see 3 clients.

If I click the MAC address link for each client, it brings up a page of details.

For one of the clients, it shows a "Current data rate (Mbps/sec)" of 54.0

The other two show  "m15"

What does m15 mean?

Mike

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

M is referring to the N/MCS rate. So the client showing m15 is connecting at 802.11n rate.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card