Views
Helpful
Replies

How to find out which data rates are being used by clients

ciscoprolin
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

we are planning to disable the data rates 6 + 9 Mbit/s for the 5 GHz band (disabled instead of supported) as we have already done for the 2.4 GHz band.

Prior to doing this however, we'd like to see how extensively the data rates 6 and 9 Mbit/s have been used over the past couple of months. Do you know if there is a way to get that information via Cisco Prime 3.x or directly or directly from the WLC ?

Thanks for your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@ciscoprolin wrote:

Is there a way to get that total picture ?

What do you mean "total picture"?

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
sh client detail <MAC address>

Hi Leo,

thanks for your reply. This is certainly a first step but we need to get an overview for all clients not just one. Is there a way to get that total picture ?

Thanks -).

@ciscoprolin wrote:

Is there a way to get that total picture ?

What do you mean "total picture"?

Hi Leo,

with total picture I mean an overview of all clients not just for one client (one MAC address).

Cheers

Thorsten

Hi Thorsten.

Client data rates will vary throughout the day if you have a large
amount of mobile clients.  These data rates depend on a lot of things. 
Distance from the AP is a major factor.  If someone is leaving the area,
and going to get in a car and leave the location, are you interested in
that?  If you have a high enough density of AP's, and you want to make
sure clients are connecting at a good data rate, just make 12 or 18 or
24Mbps mandatory, and remove the rates below. (Depends on how brave you
want to be.  I set our minimum to 24Mbps)  All others above supported.

Regards,
Andy.

Hi Andy,

thanks. Our goal is to find out to what extent the lower data rates of 6 and 9 Mbit/s are still being used not just by a single client but in general. As our wlan infrastructure is not so dense I think for the moment we try to disable 6 and 9 Mbit/s and perhaps in the next step 12 Mbit/s.

But it would really help to see how extensive they are being used before we disable them.

Cheers,

Thorsten

Hi Thorsten,

May I ask have you found the answer to your question ? We have similar situation and would like to know if there is any way to collect client data rate report at once. 

Thanks.

Jim

Hi Jim,

sorry for my late reply. Unfortunately we didn't find a way to measure this data rate usage. As data rate is very dynamic (rates are shifting as users are walking etc..) lower data rates will always be used as users move to the edge of the coverage areas.

I was told that it's good practice to disable all data rates lower than 12 Mbit/s and to set 12 Mbit/s as the lowest Mandatory rate for normal areas and 24 Mbit/s as the lowest Mandatory rate for HD areas (with 12 and 18 being supported rates).

I hope this will help you-).

Cheers

Thorsten

Hi Thorsten,

Thanks a lot for your sharing. The information helps. Appreciate it.

Jim

A bit late to the party, but I hope it's still useful.

SNMP is likely your friend in this case. If you do a SNMPwalk of cldcClientCurrentTxRateSet (.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.599.1.3.1.1.17 if you haven't got the MIBs installed) on the controller, you'll get all of the associated clients with their current rate - I ran it on a small lab/home controller:

.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.599.1.3.1.1.17.0.1.2.3.4.1 = STRING: "18.0"
.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.599.1.3.1.1.17.0.1.2.3.4.2 = STRING: "m7"
.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.599.1.3.1.1.17.0.1.2.3.4.3 = STRING: "m9 ss1"
.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.599.1.3.1.1.17.0.1.2.3.4.4 = STRING: "m9 ss2"
.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.599.1.3.1.1.17.0.1.2.3.4.5 = STRING: "m9 ss3"
.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.599.1.3.1.1.17.0.1.2.3.4.6 = STRING: "m9 ss2"
.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.599.1.3.1.1.17.0.1.2.3.4.7 = STRING: "m7"
.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.599.1.3.1.1.17.0.1.2.3.4.8 = STRING: "m9 ss2"

The 0.1.2.3.4.x part will be the MAC address of the particular client (in decimal) - I just changed it in the output in an attempt to make it easier to show that it is a dynamic value. :)

As you can see, one of my clients was running at 18 Mbit/s at the time, I ran the SNMPwalk. It would be relatively simple to make a script, that count all occurences of certain values and report them. Alternatively, copy the output into Excel and do magic in there.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: