Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to format ClickOS AP ?

HI ,

I know IOS AP can be format flash by "fsck flash:". For ClickOS AP, I don't know how to format flash. If you know, could you tell me?

In addtion,I also want to understand the following questions:
1. How does the AP enter (RNAQ-C7) # mode?
2. How does the AP enter u-boot mode?
3. What is the difference between (RNAQ-C7) # and u-boot mode?

Thanks a lot !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rps-Cheers | If it solves your problem, please mark as answer. Thanks !
12 Replies 12

Rich R
VIP
VIP
Hi SYGY
I don't know enough about COS APs to answer your question although there are some previous posts you might want to search for but I think they mostly point towards the need to talk to TAC if you're at that point.
But I did just want to clarify that fsck does NOT format the flash on an IOS AP - it's a checkdisk - it just checks the consistency of the file system and corrects any errors and recovers any orphaned files/blocks.
The command for formatting the flash is (not surprisingly) format :)
Rich

HI rudding
Thank you for your response. My description is wrong. I see that the formatted AP should use: "ap: format flash:" But I still want to know how the ClickOS AP is formatted and whether the same command is used. Thank you anyway. Does anyone else know.

Cristian Matei
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Why would you want to format the flash, if there is no reason? You could just delete the necessary files. AS far as I'm aware, with access-points running ClickOS, there is no "format" option available to a regular user. You can just delete files from flash, using "delete" command, which is identical as in regular IOS.

Without having any confirmation from Cisco, i say that RNAQ-C7 is your regular rommon (perform upgrades, etc), while U-Boot is like a super rommon, where you have limited access; this is for TAC advanced troubleshooting, where TAC has more than limited access. 

My feeling with the "format" option disappearing, is that there have been many issues with Cisco AP's flash, so probably they decided to leave the "format" option aside.

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

I haven't learned that ClickOS AP can't format flash anymore. If it is true, then I can only delete the files one by one. Thanks for your answer

Hi,

I would assume it's available from U-boot, but not sure. Open a TAC case and post what you find out about U-boot mode :)

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

ok,i got it, thanks for your advice.

DivakaranV
Level 1
Level 1

hi Everyone - I had AP4800 with COS in CAPWAP mode. I am trying to move to mobility express following the procedure as per CISCO but unfortunately nothing is success. I tried with different versions as i had but all says for the 1st attempt it says the hard disk does not have space and subsequent updates its says the file is corrupted but I am sure its not. All I am getting when i execute ap-type mobility and tfpt location to load the 8.10.185 image, it says its not authorized to run. I tried different versions and no hope. So I decided to flash my AP and did deep dive and found many internals of this customized linux OS which is using many linux commands to flash the chip and map them to mount points as internal and all of them are controlled by various environmental variables. So far, I deleted the flash, partitioned the flash, formatted and re created the partition. But when I boot the AP, its says unable to mount the part1 and it says it mounted ready only and unable to proceed. I am not sure why this is mounting as ready and why and i still figuring out the secret and will share if i am success with the full recovery. But the reason some of the images are not loading into AP during conversion is that i think its because of the date and time which is what spoken in the field notice CISCO Cisco Bug: CSCwd80290, thats because some of the images that are expired as 22 Dec and any downgrade or upgrade is not possible is what i understand and if i am not wrong. Also i found a strange on the AP in U-BOOT >> prompt and if i execute date command the ap is giving 2036 September and some date and time. I am unable to change it with date command as per cisco and i think the issues could be because of that too. if any one have clue please let me know and if i found any i will share it. please help

Hi @DivakaranV 
1. CSCwd80290 only applies to IOS APs so is irrelevant to 4800 COS AP.
2. The COS APs are not intended to be user serviceable - if you've wiped the flash then it's likely that your only remaining option is RMA with Cisco TAC.
3. Regarding your original problem - that's a well known issue with Mobility Express.  You didn't say what version of code the AP had installed initially but it was probably old.  The way to get around that issue:
- If the existing code is older than 8.5 then first upgrade to 8.5.182.0 CAPWAP image.
- Then upgrade to latest (currently 8.10.190.0) CAPWAP image
- Then convert to latest (currently 8.10.190.0) ME tar file.
If the AP already has an older version of ME installed then first re-install CAPWAP image and follow the same process as above.

hi Rich understood the logic and will post my progress in sometime. thanks

a small correction as i said in my other thread, no steps was working and successful and what i did i upgraded the device to ap3g3 15.3.3.jpj3 code and then back to 8.10.185 ME version. thats the path we all should take to move away from CAPWAP to ME. but again these steps are very unique and it works sometime in some ap and not in others. so try the options as suggested. thanks

DivakaranV
Level 1
Level 1

hi thanks for your time and response. the version that i had is 8.7.106 COS. so its above 8.5 but still i have the issue. with respect to flash i did spoke to CISCO and CISCO is saying these hardware warranty is finished and can not be replaced. what i understand that these devices are having life time hardware warranty and CISCO can replace but i am not getting it. is there any help and thoughts?

Rich R
VIP
VIP

It's a Limited Lifetime Warranty - https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-4800-access-point/nb-09-air-4800-acces-ds-cte.html#Warrantyinformation
"The Cisco Aironet 4800 Access Point comes with a limited lifetime warranty that provides full warranty coverage of the hardware for as long as the original end user continues to own or use the product." so you would have to provide proof that YOU purchased the AP from Cisco.  The warranty is not transferrable if you purchased the AP second hand.

For details of the warranty and RMA process see:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/warranty-listing.html
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/warranties/warranty-doc-c99-740619.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card