Views
Helpful
Replies

How to use Wifi in remote location from single wireless controller

kumar86rakesh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are using Cisco wireless controller Model AIR-CT5508-25-K9 in HA Mode. We have two more remote location on which we want to setup wifi from same controller. In remote location we have different VLAN Subnet. So please help us how we can use Wifi on remote location with single controller.

What are setting required in controller.

For Example we have WLC installed in Site A where we are using wi-fi right now .In Site A we are using VLAN10 and VLAN11 for Wi-FI.

Now we want to use same controller in Site B (VLAN20) and Site C (VLAN25) .

7 Replies 7

CSCO12363220
Level 1
Level 1

Use FlexConnect. You can group all AP on site B to another vlan.

Hi thank for your reply.

For remote location do we need to create flex connect group or not ??

or

we have to just change the ap mode from local to Flexconnect.

Also I added remote site vlan in WLC without any IP address because at main site (where WLC Installed) no such vlan so is it ok or not ??

You must unite AP for site B on group (example GROUP_B). Activate flexconnect mode AP for group GROUP_B and set . Create another SSID for this group. 

I think this link get answer for all you questions:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-1/configuration-guide/b_cg81/b_cg81_chapter_010010001.html

Hi,

Thanks for your reply,

I have already created a different SSID for Site B (example SSID_Site B) and assigned the site B AP to this ssid. Today I will go to my branch and give it a try  and will let you know.

Question:

In branch we are using single Vlan.So do we need to change the switch port setting to trunk on which AP connected.

We are using router as a dhcp server is it ok or not???

Hi,

Today we have tried to connect wifi in our branch office through PSK authentication ([WPA + WPA2][Auth(PSK)] it was working, but when we tried to connect it through radius server authentication (AAA) than its not getting connect. Even radius server settings are same as local site (A) (where WiFi working through radius server authentication. It showing the below error message.

"RADIUS server 10.***********:1812 failed to respond to request (ID 4)

Hi,

It was very simple but we could not get these simple steps from Cisco.

We have done the below setting and now we can connect WIFI in remote location through Radius server as well.

1) We created a Different SSID and AP Group for remote location and assigned the remote site AP to that group.

2) In controller for remote location SSID we assigned the local VLAN interface (This was the main cause because earlier we were assigning the remote site VLAN interface in controller which was not communicating )

3) We changed the AP mode from local to Flex connect.

4) We enabled the flex connect local switching in Remote site WLAN advance setting.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card