Views
Helpful
Replies

I want to configure wep with mac address authention

prashantrecon
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

I have cisco aironet 1200 series Acess point i want to configure wep with mac authentcation .

Please help me .If any document with GUI configuration ,please share it.

Regards,

Prashant.

11 Replies 11

Tony Davis
Level 1
Level 1

How many clients are you planning on supporting this way?  MAC authentication can become a huge headache very fast when supporting a large number of clients.

And why WEP?  If you're going to use a security protocol that uses a key, why not at least do WPA-PSK?

Here's some documentation on MAC filtering...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008084f13b.shtml

Thanks,

Tony

I am thinking about Wpa-psk with Radius server authentication.

Is this is a good configuration .

If you want to use a radius, you should do WPA2/AES 802.1x. On many clients, that is also known as WPA2 Enterprise. Depending on what kind of radius server, you will find many "How To guides" on the Internet. WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK is a pre shared key and doesn't require a radius server. If you end up wanting to do pre shared, I would suggest WPA2/AES-PSK.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

I have an idea to configue WPA with radius authentication but i have a crazy manager that only want WEP with Mac authenticaion.

If you can help in it then i am very grateful to you.

i already try to configure with the help of configuration guide For cisco Aironet 1200 series but there is no sucess.

if you have any configuration Example please share with me.

Regards,

Prashant

WPA-PSK uses a preshared key which needs to be entered on all clients.  It's a step up from WEP... If you want to use radius authentication, you need to look into WPA/WPA2 Enterprise with PEAP authentication.  You'll need a trusted certificate installed on the clients and then use machine/user based authentication.

Hi Tony,

I read the configuration guide for cisco aironet 1200 but sorry to say that i  got no success to configure WEP with MAC authentication.

if you guide me how to confiure in GUI or Cli then it will be very grateful.

Are you running autonomous AP's or lightweight AP's(Wireless Lan Controller)?

the easiest way is to use an ACL 700

access-list 700 permit 0011.2233.4455

keep adding until all of your MAC addresses are in the list.  then:

dot11 association mac-list 700

This will stop any client not in the list from being able to associate to the AP.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Hi Stephen,

Is deny statement needed at last or by default it will only allow only permit mac address.

Regards,

Prashant

there is the implicit deny at at the end of all acl. So you don't need to put it in there.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Hi,

Today i face a issue all the access list for mac address is atomatically disapper .

I have saved the configuration after enter all the mac address.

So i have to enter the all the entry.

i found one log

%DOT11-4-MAXRETRIES: Packet to client 001f.3ce6.0f07 reached max retries,  removing the client

Please help me.

Regards,

Prashant

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: